"Our Love Story", an anniversary gift

I probably should’ve saved this for the 5th anniversary, the “wooden one”, but I made this earlier this year (or last year I guess). The backer is engraved maple plywood, and the hearts are engraved white MDF. I scored hearts on the backer to help with placement when gluing it all together. Each heart is a small street map of where my wife and I met, got engaged, and got married.

This was my 2nd design for this and I am still not quite happy with it. I think I’m going to try to incorporate a frame somehow next time. It looks like it’s missing something still to my eye.

53 Likes

@dan84 Congratulations on your anniversary. Great gift! Clean simple design. :heavy_check_mark:

4 Likes

A stand-off could be all that’s necessary. I was looking at making a frame and found myself pleased with just the clearance of the french cleat used to hang it.

12 Likes

What a sweet idea!

3 Likes

Congrats! It should be too hard to make a 2-3 level frame for this. I really like your idea.

4 Likes

Pretty! I’m going to make something like this for my niece as she recently got engaged. I like how this has a kind of simple elegance with the heart in the map. I do agree, though, that it would feel more polished with a frame of some sort.

2 Likes

I think it’s adorable!

since you’re using maps, maybe footsteps between ala Family Circus or Indiana Jones?

6 Likes

Or a score line that mirrors the outer cut line to give it a frame effect. I think it looks amazing though.

6 Likes

Gosh, it’s gorgeous, and such a neat idea!

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking! That might be all it takes.

4 Likes

This is so clean and sharp. I agree that something seems off but I can’t tell if it’s a frame or not. The subtle contrasts between the 2 wood choices and then the nice dark engrave look amazing. Be sure to update us if you try any changes.

This is a really well executed project.

I thought the middle area looked familiar and it turns out that you got engaged in the neighborhood where two of my brothers live with their families.

4 Likes

What a sweet idea! Lovely gift!

3 Likes

Love the idea and the execution. Really lovely.

3 Likes

Precious!!

I am looking forward to seeing the updated version

Dog, Baby, House

3 Likes

Lovely idea! It will be cherished.

1 Like

I love the clean looking maps.

1 Like