Outlet covers

Some great advice—I think I’ll do the metal tape thing.

8 Likes

Beautiful job!

5 Likes

I wanted to make outlet covers but I’m too paranoid to not use a standard one underneath. lol (So I haven’t made any yet LOL) (But I totally get your point with your situation, not saying that you shouldn’t do it.)

6 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous. I’ve also been playing with a wooden planks and using them to do art nouveau floors and walls. It’s been really cool.

4 Likes

I’ve missed seeing your gorgeous house build updates :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

5 Likes

Is that an insulated horsetank bathtub I see in the mirror?

2 Likes

It is. I’m 6’2” and am determined to have a tub where I can get my shoulders and knees under the water at the same time. :grin: I want to cover the insulation with vertical wood strips but haven’t gotten far enough along yet to be forced into figuring out how to attach them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I like it!

2 Likes

Construction adhesive would probably work but Lexol would definitely do the job. Don’t need to worry about the water or overthinking complex waterproof permanent fastening methods :smiley:

4 Likes

Ooh, thanks! I didn’t know about Lexel. :grin:

3 Likes

Don´t you love it when make practical projects with your :glowforge:? Congratulations @geek2nurse!

9 Likes

I have been meaning to do this for several of our outlets and I found they make both ceramic paint and fire retardant paint for wood that could be painted on the reverse. They even make a fire retardant clear coat for wood but it is not cheap (but neither is your insurance declining your fire claim because you put none insulated wood near exposed wire.) There are a bunch of options online with a quick web search.

4 Likes

How does that work in a log cabin where the walls are nothing but wood? And all wood is, is an insulator. Least ways for most purposes. There’s always lightning, but not much isn’t a conductor for that.

2 Likes

Fires don’t happen in the middle of the cable, they start where there are connections due to high resistance, opportunities for sparks and shorts, electronics in the box, etc.

4 Likes

Beautiful! So much better than plastic

2 Likes

Great Idea. So cute.

3 Likes

I’m definitely going to glowforge some switch covers one of these days!

2 Likes

In log cabins if I am not mistaken there is still code and outlets are supposed to use switch boxes the kind you find behind the majority of light switched and outlets. where the wires terminate into the switch or outlets these wire ends are exposed and this is why they must be in a fire safe box ( they are usually blue at least here in SoCal) as like chris1 said this is were shorts and sparks tend to happen. The wire in your walls should be insulated and most to the time the only issues there is when people accidentally breach the insulation with various screws or nails or a rodent eats away the wire insulation. I have friends that are electricians and this is how it was explained to me.

2 Likes

As an idea… look into the Rockler Roll Top Desk router bits…

now that might make the wood too thin for your purpose. I suppose you could just get larger bits and mimic that effect. in theory you could glue it all to a canvas backing and be able to unwrap it if necessary. even routing the top edge to fit under the rolled bead/edge of the top of the tub.

geez it feels like I’ve not been on here in ages.

3 Likes