Outlet covers

I’m finally getting far enough along on building our house to start doing lasery stuff to it! Today I resawed some scraps of the same maple hardwood used in the bathroom countertop, and used them to make laser-engraved outlet covers.

57 Likes

Fancy! I love it. Nice Glowy cameo as well.

16 Likes

I didn’t know I would love him so much! :grin:

17 Likes

Looks great

9 Likes

Those fit in better than anything store-bought ever could. Loving the style for your bathroom so far.

13 Likes

Those are gorgeous…and that whole area in your bathroom is, as well. LOVE the copper sink.

12 Likes

That looks phenomenal and really pops.

10 Likes

Wow! Great looking bathroom! Nice to be able to accessorize as needed!

10 Likes

Awesome job! I love personalizing a room with custom outlet covers.

10 Likes

Beautiful! They are absolutely perfect.

Do you have to put any sort of backing on a wooden electrical outlet cover? I’m not familiar with electrical code.

9 Likes

There’s no code out here where I’m building, but the walls are pine and the studs are pine, so I don’t see that a tiny rectangle of plastic would really be much protection vs. a rectangle of wood, if something decided to spark. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Obviously I’m hoping nothing will, so I’m paying close attention to my wiring and not overloading circuits!

12 Likes

Did he hear there would be pews in the bathroom?

8 Likes

Heh. :grin: He hangs out in the bathroom for now because it’s the least likely area to have him buried in sawdust!

8 Likes

Lovely!

Did you follow a template or design the pattern? Are the screw holes flush or slightly countersunk?

4 Likes

We had a couple of licensed electricians from a highly reputable firm at our house a few weeks ago for another issue, and while they were here I showed them my wooden outlet covers. He had no problem with them and said any risk would be very low. So I’m not going to worry about it.

11 Likes

They’re flush, but a little on the largish side, so the screw heads sit even with the surface.

I think I found the outlet cover template on Thingiverse…IIRC it was configurable and would create whatever arrangement of outlets you asked for.

8 Likes

Very nice flower design. How did you get the good contrast on the engraving, if it’s all right ti ask?

6 Likes

It was a design I found online. I opened it in Preview on my Mac, converted to PNG so it could have a transparent background, then selected and deleted all the background areas. I engraved it at the default maple hardwood settings. :blush:

6 Likes

This looks great! I love personalization!

4 Likes

NEC 406.6(C) (emphasis mine)

Faceplates of insulating material shall be noncombustible and not less than 2.54 mm (0.10 in.) in thickness but shall be permitted to be less than 2.54 mm (0.10 in.) in thickness if formed or reinforced to provide adequate mechanical strength.

:man_shrugging:t4:

As much as we love our tangents here, my intention is not to try to drive this off into an argument about electrical codes. Just clarifying for anyone who was wondering if wooden faceplates are compliant. Do as thou wilt.

I might suggest at least some metal tape on the back. A couple of months after we moved in to our house, I smelled something odd and tracked it down the the laundry room, where I discovered smoke and flames coming out of a junction box for the dryer outlet. It’s all about defense in depth: the connection should not have overheated, and the breaker should have tripped. But when those protections failed, the only thing that prevented our house from burning down was that the fire was not able to spread before I caught it.

14 Likes