Overbuilt, Over-Engineered, Over-Lasered, Smart Bird Cam Bird Feeder

It’s a painted bunting, NOT a rainbow lorikeet (they eat nectar, not seeds). :slight_smile:

I love the feeder, and how awesome that its first visitor was a painted bunting!

11 Likes

LOVELY! love the sign and what a beautiful sample video!

7 Likes

SUPER neat. I love all the detail. A labor of love. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What a fabulous bird condo! Your parents must love having you next door now.

6 Likes

Next level stuff, nice job.

5 Likes

Wow this is absolutely brilliant! I am inspired. Also noticed how they like to use the railing to perch on, did you add it for this purpose or just a coincidence that it’s a practical design feature?

8 Likes

I designed it hoping that they would use it as a perch and made sure to have cutouts for them to grasp onto. Seems like it works pretty good for them, but I’ve only had a few birds so far. I’m sure they’ll figure out that there’s a new feeder soon enough. I doubt the birds care about the aesthetics, but I’m very happy with the way that it turned out, and and pleasantly surprised that the AI works fairly well, even though it gives you multiple options when it doesn’t know for sure.

10 Likes

Cool, it worked! I’d like to think they care about the aesthetics but you’re right, they probably don’t :thinking:

The AI is great and video quality is excellent. The positioning of the sign in camera is hilarious!

9 Likes

The camera is only 720P, which is very disappointing in this day and age when 1080P and 4K would have been fairly easy to add for a security camera. The focus is set to Infinity as I’m assuming they took a security camera and added the bird AI versus creating a bird camera that can also be used as a security camera. Since this is a gift for my mom, she probably won’t care as she’ll just get to see birds, but for me it’d be nice if the lens was focused for a shorter throw, and had a higher resolution. I’m sure they’ll be other options in the future that address this.

9 Likes

I do agree with you on this point, hopefully they offer upgraded hardware at some point. There are so many birders who I’m sure would want the highest res possible.

7 Likes

Lot of work. Glad you stuck with it.
Once I realized where the camera was I was hoping for bird pics.
You did not disappoint.
Great project and I am sure they were pleased to no end.

8 Likes

The camera is 1080p, but defaults to 720p. I stand corrected.

7 Likes

Because of Bird Flu, you are not supposed to be putting out feeders this year. Just sayin’… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had not heard this. When I went to search on this topic, most of the USDA sites that came up in the search were down. But I did finally find an article about this.

5 Likes

This is AMAZING! I have my shop windows facing our ravine that is filled with trees. My 48th birthday is Sunday and my best friend, knowing I love watching birds, bought me a bird book and a very nice set of binoculars. I will have to start looking for files to buy and make something like this. (I am not a designer… lol) Such a great job!

5 Likes

Looks like it is ok to put out feeders except in very specific circumstances:

6 Likes

I have been eyeing this camera myself. Outstanding job with the feeder. Might wait until the next version comes out with a little higher resolution.

4 Likes

I tried hinting about that but it would have been really amazing to have escaped rainbow lorikeets as the other visitors, I do not remember what my friend fed his birds.
:parrot:
I guess the bird identifier software needs an update.

5 Likes

This is spectacular!!! It’s beautiful! How thrilling to have the first visitor be a Painted Bunting! Beautiful!!

6 Likes

WWow! This is sooo cool!!! Love every little detail! You should be selling these! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes