Pacific Northwest Glowforge Owners Magic: The Gathering Group

Or PNGOM:tGG for short! :wink:

Through some of the discussions Iā€™ve seen I have determined that several of us Glowforge owners are also Magic: The Gathering players, and that many of those are in the Pacific Northwest, particularly the Seattle area!

I propose an M:tG meetup! Maybe we can make it a regular thing. I think focusing around the pre-release schedule would be a great ideaā€¦ but the next one isnā€™t until January 14/15 for Aether Revolt.

Personally, I like drafting from time to time and my primary format is Commander. Iā€™ve even taken those two to the next level and created a Commander Cube where we draft 60-card commander decks. And the next Commander set releases next weekend!

So, if anyone would like to gather and play some Magic, lets discuss it and organize it here!

5 Likes

Iā€™d have to dust off the old decks (which are probably laughable now), remember how to play, and drive 4 hours up to Seattle. Maybe next summer for me. who knows, if I head up that way Iā€™ll see if thereā€™s some time to meet up and have you catch me up on all the new happenings.

3 Likes

How long has it been? There have been lots of happenings in recent M:tG history.

2 Likes

I was playing with old decks the last time I broke them out inā€¦ 2005, wow thatā€™s been a while.

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ thatā€™s been a while. You might have some serious value packed away. Many of the older cards are MUCH more valuable than you might think they would beā€¦ so donā€™t go selling them without doing any research!

2 Likes

huh, never thought about that. I should probably see how much those first gen foil cards are going for now. I also picked up a weird ā€œworld changerā€ card that very few people had ever seen. Iā€™ll have to dig them out and remember whatā€™s in there. if I decide to part with them Iā€™ll send you some picks to see if they interest you.

3 Likes

I sold off most of my cards when I was tight on money a year or two ago. They went for a surprising amount. I at least made back all the money I spent on them and probably a bit more than that. I did hold onto one deck as well as a couple big boxes of mostly worthless cards.

4 Likes

Back about 10 years ago I was getting into board games and hadnā€™t played MtG in a long time. I found an online shop that would buy my cards and give me store credit. I liquidated anything I had that was over $5 at the time. I got around $400 in store credit and bought a massive amount of board gamesā€¦ starting my board game obsession. Then about a month later, we started playing MtG again, and most of the most valuable cards that I had sold, had tripled their value since I sold them.

Iā€™ve slowly built my collection back up over the years, and I donā€™t intend to liquidate again. Iā€™ll sell a valuable card now and then if itā€™s one I wonā€™t play and want to buy something specific in its place.

3 Likes

Aw, I live in Cleveland or Iā€™d definitely participate. :slight_smile: Iā€™ve been playing Magic since Beta, though not so much recently. I miss the simple days of 4-word rules on the card!

4 Likes

I started in Revised. Unlimited was still on the shelves, but we didnā€™t want those ugly black bordered cards! And God forbid we pull a dual land as our rare! Those were the worst! (We knew so little back then).

3 Likes