Paint Mixer

I recovered this stepper motor last week
from an old flatbed scanner I found in a dumpster. It is perfect for this application. Or small enough to fit in the Glowforge for a rotary bed.

14 Likes

If you take the lids off the paints and get the motor to spin fast enough, you could have a Robotic 3D-painting Jackson Pollock! :flushed:

5 Likes

I can’t be the only person until @cynzu who saw this and thought “… take the caps off the paint and crank up that motor !!!” Instant modern art living room (or whatever room). Aside from that - very interesting idea to keep paints mixed. (I’m looking through the forum throughout the day at work, but I don’t log in since it is a work computer … always have to remember what I wanted to comment and hurry home…:relaxed:)

7 Likes

Arduino with a real time clock and relay would allow you to use the 110 power.

See:

1 Like

Very cool…may I suggest one more option?..At hte endinstead of a round bearing type thingy…you put a cam or somethingy for a little agitation as well?

if you paint it red, it should spin faster

14 Likes

Glow sticks and a garage sale nerf gun and we’re there!

4 Likes

Padré!

1 Like

I sent a note to TWIT letting them know I got a Glowforge. Thought maybe Padre Bob would take the bait since he had mentioned the Glowforge. Crickets.

1 Like

I built this from Make Magazine. If you want high torque but low speeds, windshield wiper motors often have a worm-gear built in.

http://makezine.com/projects/make-33/solar-powered-roasting-spit/

7 Likes

I don’t know how you find the time to go dumpster-diving, with everything you are doing here!

5 Likes

That was my very first thought as well! I was just saying how my life feels like work, peppered with the occasional nap. If I only had time…

1 Like

That was a drive by sighting. It was piled on top with a bunch of other stuff overflowing.

3 Likes

I love this forum, except my list of things I never imagined but now desperately need keeps getting longer. Who knew there was a better method than just shaking the darn little bottles and hoping they were mixed enough. Now I feel like a cave man! :smile:

7 Likes

Ron Walters has a dandy spray can mixer.

6 Likes

That’s a great idea! They get a lot of mail - nothing personal and you might ping him again. Funny Glowforge origin story: I met @dean when we were both on TWiT with Leo. The archives are probably floating around somewhere.

7 Likes

I was just recounting that story the other day! Good times, good times.

4 Likes

Might try their Google+ page. That’s where they are most of the time.

2 Likes

By the GODS this is AMAZING!

3 Likes

That’s just freaking cool.

1 Like