Painted Canvas Experiments

One of my daughters wanted to paint her grandmother something for Christmas on canvas. God bless her, she got her artistic talent from her daddy, so I felt the need to help her out and I lightly etched/engraved the outline on the canvas with the GF. It really turned out better than I expected, and I’ve been mulling that over ever since.
So, now my youngest daughter decided she wanted something on canvas, as well. She’s obsessed with sea turtles and with tribal and celtic art. I decided to try pre-painting the canvas and see what happened, since she wasn’t interested in painting it herself…
The glare is kinda bad, but, for an experiment, I am gonna chalk this one up as a success. Will be continuing with some different techniques.

17 Likes

Wow that turned out amazing :slight_smile: might have to hit up the dollar store and get some blank canvases tonight. did you do the second one as a stencil or did you etch away the black paint?

1 Like

Excellent! Looks like those scratch off panels you can buy at the art stores. :grinning:

2 Likes

I randomly painted various colors on the canvas, let it dry, then painted over it with black spray paint. Then just etched away the black.

8 Likes

super smart idea. very cool thx for the inspiration.

1 Like

Cool!
Ditto on @Jules idea of scratch pads at stores–I was recalling when did that as kids–with color crayons and then black overtop–before things like that were available in stores! Really fun to have high tech versions of it–but recall how magical the result was after the tedium of all the coloring with the crayons…

2 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.