Painted MDF Inlay

A Reddit user posted an offer to use an SVG file they created; an abstract continuous piece that seemed perfect for a laser.

I decided I would give is a go on some MDF and see how it looked. Once it was cut I took the two pieces and spray painted them separately before putting them back together like an inlay.

The result is very pleasing to me. The piece is 12 by 12 (sharpie for scale)

Here is the original Reddit Post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CNC/comments/sch54v/i_am_interested_in_seeing_how_some_of_my_line_art/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

51 Likes

That is beautiful! Normally red and blue clash next to each other, but you seem to use that here to your benefit.

I just find this very enjoyable to gaze at.

7 Likes

Really like the contrasts. I was giving some pour paints for Christmas, this would an ideal work up for that.

7 Likes

Such a pleasing Venn diagram.

6 Likes

Wonderful! Great colors!

6 Likes

Wow that is seriously making my eyes wig out! The colors look fantastic, splendid work :+1:t3:

8 Likes

You turned that beautiful design into a great piece of art!

6 Likes

Wow! Not only is the continuous piece cool, but your painting is amazing as always!

7 Likes

You did a great job with this file!!

4 Likes

it has a fingerprint venn vibe to it.

6 Likes

Gorgeous colors.

5 Likes

The really odd thing was looking at the design, I kept thinking “he said this is one continuous line, but I cannot make my brain ‘see’ it as a single piece.” Up until the moment it cut out, I really expected it to fall into a bunch of tiny pieces.

11 Likes

You did right by that art! Cool looking piece.

5 Likes

Really, really nice!

4 Likes

Great collaboration!

3 Likes

Forgive the blatant plagiarism, I have some 3d-printed and vinyl-cut stuff to give to my daughter, and wanted to make something on the laser as well. Your piece jumped out at me, exactly the kind of stuff she likes. A bit different - a “star field” for a background. I need to touch up the red bits with orange instead.

(5/32 Purebond Maple Ply)

13 Likes

Very cool! I like the star field.

4 Likes

I didn’t even realize it was just one piece! Now I’m really stunned!

3 Likes

That’s gorgeous - both their art and your interpretation! @eflyguy I love that one too! It looks like coral.

I like the idea somebody else on there had of engraving it too…hmmmmm

5 Likes

Man, I keep going back looking at your work. Trying to deconstruct and understand how many operations you crammed into that, between the different colors on how many layers, blending them, masking, cutting, and building.
The diagonal stripe reminds me of looking through a galaxy on edge - like we do. On top of all of that, it’s an inlay. :star_struck:

4 Likes