Painted tile

I saw this technique on Facebook, and figured eh what the heck worst case I toss a 19 cent tile and a bit of paint away…
First off learned the hard way don’t let paint dry outside on sub freezing temperatures. It bubbles. But again this was only a test piece and I figured what the heck I only wanna see if it works.

Short answer, yes, yes it does :crazy_face:

33 Likes

And I love that effect! (Looks like deliberately crackled paint.)

5 Likes

Black spray paint on a white tile?

and wow - yeah, that’s cool looking! The bubbles totes work with the subject! :smiley: 600 years takes toll it does

5 Likes

Blue paint first, let dry, then black paint. The error was letting the black paint dry outside in sub freezing temperatures. But I couldn’t be happier with the results. The bubbles made a crackling effect that was just awesome. I’m going to test out a tile or 2 in the freezer to see if I can’t replicate the error.

4 Likes

Wow! So the settings were such that you only burned through the black an partially through the blue? Was there ever enough power to etch the tile glaze?

3 Likes

Indeed…this is very cool! Nice accident? :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nice! It will be interesting to see if the freezer replicates it. More special effects to learn!

1 Like

Very nice - I really like the two color effect. Subtle but makes an impact!

1 Like

Short answer: Work, it does, yes!

FTFY

4 Likes

That looks really cool.

1 Like

…and I thought tiles were addictive before! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Very fun project!

Think I’ll wait for some warmer temperatures to try the technique.

1 Like

Awesome tile!

I got bubbles by drying paint outside on a misty day back in Washington state. In case you don’t have a freezer handy. :wink:

1 Like

Do you seal it afterwards?

Clear shellac yes.

1 Like

Not to burst your bubble(s) :rofl::rofl::rofl: but do you think the bubbling was only because of cold. The reason I’m asking is because I recently painted some aluminum with a thick coat of rust preventative paint. I let it dry thoroughly and repainted with a second coat. The paint began to “crinkle”. I think the top layer of paint acted like a solvent and “reactivated” the bottom layer. It happened again on another piece. The smooth surface of the tile, or in my case, aluminum may have added to the problem, because of lack of good adhesion. I did rough it up a little prior to painting as well…hmmm :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

No worries, I know it to be the sub freezing temperatures because batch before and after no freezing temperatures and no bubbles. Also the freezer trick replicates the bubbles.

1 Like

Getting back into the swing of things

Cancer SUX, but finally getting my feet back under me Just rocks.

Also discovered a new to me way to do this without paint or sharpies, using Titanium Dioxide
Pictures forthcoming.

9 Likes

Nice effect. So glad you are regaining strength and enjoying some creative endeavors!

2 Likes

Great effect! I am glad you are back and creating.

2 Likes