Painter's Tool Trestle lookalike learning challenge

Right after I received my :glowforge: and cutting the first three tutorial files, I decided to challenge myself to learn Adobe Illustrator by trying to reproduce something giftworthy.

The next birthday on the calendar was my sister in law, and she loves to paint, so I knew I had my challenge when I found the Painter’s Tool Trestle in the :glowforge: catalog.

Glowforge Catalog Painter’s Tool Trestle

This is what I managed to make during my learning process.

I made a prototype out of MDF where I learned to adjust kerf, and then cut the final in :glowforge: Baltic Birch, assembled, and stained lightly before coating with clear coat.

After I gifted it, she told me her brushes slipped from the bottom grooves, so I cut another base with deeper grooves and glued it on top of the original.

34 Likes

Well done. I am sure she likes it. Nice touch with the engraved handwriting.

5 Likes

Great work! Putting the fun in functional! The design is nice.

4 Likes

Oooooo, very nice indeed! Would make a good companion piece to the original Glowforge one.

4 Likes

Great gift, and it turned out really nice!

3 Likes

Fantastic turnout! Nice job challenging yourself, and pulling it off with a top notch gift!

3 Likes

Thank you all Glowfriends for your encouragement and kind remarks. One of the reasons I decided to buy the :glowforge: was to stop being a passive Netflix consuming couch potato and recover my creativity by challenging myself to learn new abilities and put them to use making customized gifts for friends and family.

6 Likes