Painting cut acrylic

Has anyone painted their acrylic after it’s been cut? If so what is the best type of paint to use and sealant? I made a couple of keychains to get my feet wet and hand painted them but I hate how they turned out. Is it anyway to properly paint acrylic after it’s been cut?

4 Likes

Nail polish colors are designed to smooth themselves out and can be quite a rabbit hole. Also Rub-n-Buff

2 Likes

Omg I didn’t think about using nail polish! Thank you! Is rub and buff a sealant?

2 Likes

Rub-n-Buff seems more a wax where I used it on acrylic it did not all come off but on wood it is almost fugitive.

1 Like

Wow, I can see how you could make some amazing designs like this. Make the picture a mirror image and cut/engrave, then fill in with paint and flip it over. Could make some really cool designs! Thanks for the ideas!

1 Like

And be sure to do the painting/infill of the engraved areas before you pull off the masking. It will help keep the unpainted parts pristine.

2 Likes

This.

You can put down multiple coats of paint (I generally use cheap “craft” acrylic) before removing the masking, to get a solid, smooth, opaque result.

1 Like

Good points! I have been considering removing the top mask, because it is such a pain to get it off of the engraved areas (if they are light). But, that is a good point about the painting. So, I guess if I make sure the engravings are deep, that would work best.

I saw a video last week about someone using alcohol inks (it was Fresh Start Customs I believe) and that might just give you a look you would like.

1 Like

thank you so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.