Pale blue dot

This Is a typical story about how the Glowforge allows me to elevate projects to the next level.

My adult son was talking about how he came across an image called “The Pale Blue Dot”. It was Carl Sagan’s request for Voyager Spacecraft as it was leaving the solar system. Here is a link to the story: Voyager 1’s Pale Blue Dot | NASA Solar System Exploration
He loved the story and said he wanted the Pale Blue Dot image framed and hung on the wall like abstract art.

Well now it’s Christmas so I have a project. I took Nasa’s image and had a 16x20 print made and framed. Here’s where the Glowforge comes in. Carl Sagan had a great quote about the image, and I wanted to include it in the project somehow. I thought it would be cool to have plaque mounted next to the print like they do in art museums.

So, I started with a sheet of clear acrylic and spray painted the back black. Then I engraved the quote mirror image on the back side through the black then I sprayed the engraved letters with white spray paint. The result is completely professional looking and made possible with the laser. Photos below.

41 Likes

Creative. Thanks for the share.

6 Likes

That does look very professional. Great idea and great execution. Thanks for the inspiring share.

7 Likes

Wow!!

You did an amazing job on this, that’s for sharing!

5 Likes

Very nicely done. Thanks for the explanation. It does look professional!

5 Likes

Nicely done!

6 Likes

Wow!!! Perfection!!

4 Likes

That’s fabulous! That quote is one of my all-time favorites, too.

5 Likes

Very nice! Carl was ‘The Showman of Science’ and had the heart of a poet.
The answers have always been there, we just didn’t know how to read them.

7 Likes

Very nice job! That picture sure makes a fellow feel pretty small.
Many years ago in another lifetime I worked in the Technical Services Department of a military college. Many times over the years we had requests for signs and we created them like this. Of course we didn’t have lasers so it was all done with exacto knives but the results were very professional looking.

9 Likes

This is beautiful!

4 Likes

That turned out beautiful! Your son is going to love it!

4 Likes

So cool and great technique!

4 Likes

Stellar work! Very impressive turnout.

3 Likes

I’m blown away by how perfect that text came out! I will certainly remember this technique.

1 Like