Paper Fun with Seklema Mat

pun-intentional?

15 Likes

That is awe-full enough :grinning:

5 Likes

Who would have thought that my first actual post/reply on here would have been a pun? (I mean… other than my wife who probably expected it.) :smiley:

14 Likes

Winning.

3 Likes

Thank you for this very useful information and great pictures!

1 Like

Okay @henryhbk and @johnbrooker, I’ve got good news and bad news.

Bad news: silk (I’m using 8mm Habotai, very thin) does not stick to the mat at all. Something about the texture or finish. If you stick it first to low tack masking, the masking will stick to the mat. But in that case, might as well just stick the masking to the crumb tray with magnets. Well, maybe it would prevent cut pieces from flying around if you used the mat. Yeah, that might be worthwhile.

Good news: I tried the silk twice, once just sticking it down to the crumb tray with lots of magnets, and the second time I put some low tack masking on first (helped a lot with keeping it flat) then held it down with magnets. It cut very well (had to use a little more power–10%-- to get through the silk vs the tissue) and it does appear that the edges are cauterized.

This photo shows, left to right, the masking plus silk after cutting and peeling (it was a kiss cut–the masking was not cut through); middle one is the fiddle that was peeled off the masking, and the far right one is the fiddle that was cut directly on the crumb tray with magnets holding down both interior and exterior of cut (I’ve got some teeny neodymium magnets).

Here’s a closeup:

Edit: the torn looking bit on the upper right edge is where I had to cut it with scissors because I accidentally blocked that bit of silk with a magnet when I was laser cutting. Duh!

27 Likes

That mat looks like it will be a life saver (or at least aggravation/effort/cursing saver) for many of us! Thanks for sharing your testing of it.

2 Likes

Nice. Will have to get some silk and play around…

2 Likes

Thank you kindly!

1 Like

This word! :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely jaw dropping! Thank you for sharing these experiments :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This seems like a no-brainer if you are going to be working with paper. @martinell.jan, seems like we should order one of these mats!

3 Likes

Thanks @cynd11! I need to get me one of those!!

2 Likes

This mat material looks ideal. Thank you for sharing and tagging me. Not only will it actually hold down the material, but reduces consumable use and looks simple to use for even the most unskilled. Very professional.

I imagine you mounted it to hardboard or some other surface? Or did you apply it directly to the honeycomb?

Looks like it can even be cleaned to restore tack level. Excellent find.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

It’s on its own stiff board, I just laid it in there.

5 Likes

I’m part dacron since 2006.

5 Likes

Wow! Very impressive! :relaxed:

3 Likes

I use alcohol to clean my Seklema. Seems to work at least as well as water and dries so much faster.

7 Likes

Good to know! Just rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol?

1 Like

Sam’s Club rubbing alcohol. I use it for rotary engraving to clean the mat and keep it tacky. I’m not sure how long it will last in the GF, but for rotary use, the mat I’m using has been in place for over a year. Still have the reverse side to use when the first side is no longer tacky.

5 Likes