Paper height error

Paper will not cut, I get the height error message. I have already emailed GF support and after a few days got fairly generic message about the crumb.tray.

“You can print on objects up to 2” thick by removing the crumb tray. However, your Glowforge can’t focus too far down, so you may need to put something laser-compatible underneath your material to lift it up. Raise it until the top surface of your material is between 1.5" and 2" high, measured from the metal plate on the bottom."

Is not the crumb tray at 1.5" already?

As you can see I am printing with the crumb tray inserted. I almost always get the error message when printing paper. The workaround is I put a small piece of cardboard on top of the paper and use that as the focus point. Anytime I cut paper I have this issue.

Why is my GF not allowing me to cut paper?

The actual gridded surface of the cutting tray generally falls at about 1.37" Just put a thin sheet of plywood under it to bring it up a little higher, and tape the edges of the paper to the plywood.

Paper is generally cut on a sticky mat of some kind (Seklema makes one) so it is raised slightly above the surface of the tray. If the camera is having trouble focusing, you can try raising it with a scrap piece of wood, or make a mat for it.

1 Like

Huhn. I cut card stock directly on the crumb tray (as well as on a mat) regularly and, have not had that error.

(Plain paper being thinner than card stock, of course.)

3 Likes

It’s probably not off by much, but every machine is calibrated slightly differently, so maybe some of them can’t quite catch the focus on thin paper.

@Yojimbo, have you run the Calibration program?

2 Likes

Cutting paper without a backing of some kind is also a good way to start a fire.

No issue with thicker material like card stock, chipboard, etc.

1 Like

Me too. Just cut some yesterday that way and have never had a problem with it.

2 Likes

Yup, seen paper start trying to light up especially when I forget to reset the power setting from birch to paper. What fun that is to see.