Paper Snowflakes for string lights

Snowflakes? Geometric flowers? Something like that. I wanted to make our boring Christmas lights more interesting and also protect them when they’re packed for the year. This does both – turns your lights into something like a paper lei. We only used white but could look great with different colors.

Settings – I use 140lb watercolor paper at 500 / 100 (cut - black line) and 500 / 25 (score - magenta line). Most paper will require lower settings, but watercolor paper doesn’t blow away during cutting and folds perfectly.

NOT for commercial use! Other than that, enjoy!

Snowflake

40 Likes

Aww, these are very sweet! I agree, it would be fun to use different colors. Thanks for the share!

4 Likes

So cute!! Thank you for sharing!!

4 Likes

They remind me of when I was a little kid - we used to string popcorn together in a thread. This looks almost like paper popcorn garlands :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing with us

3 Likes

Thanks for the share. This is the kind of idea that creates all sorts of other things.

2 Likes

You could also add color to the watercolor paper with inks or watercolor paints… they are lovely!

2 Likes

Very clever design.

2 Likes

I’ve used Montana spray paint on other projects, works great with watercolor paper.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Is paper okay with regular bulbs, or should we just use these with LEDs? I worry about the heat.

2 Likes

Neat idea! I’d love to see what they look like when strung up on the tree. : )

3 Likes

Good question. I’ve only used with LED bulbs, and the piece fits down below the bottom of the bulb housing, never been worried about it
. Good to be careful though. But honestly, if you’ve ever seen a dry pine tree burn, paper is the least of your worries.

1 Like

Cute idea! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like