Parametric models in the Design Catalog?

I’m assuming the designers will set their own prices. I would bet my $50 of credit on it.

1 Like

I would second that bet :wink:

1 Like

I could see a world where the catalog either has several versions of a project for whatever thickness of material you want to use or have a few projects that can be adjusted by inserting values similar to the customizers on thingiverse!

I’m looking forward to seeing what the catalog actually contains

So I suppose that I probably missed something… and I should read rather than ask the question… but I’ll ask anyway.

The catalog is going to be user generated? Meaning if I have a design I can just submit it to the catalog and ask for $ for it? Or is it going to be curated by Glowforge staff? In which case I suppose it could still be user generated in the form of submissions that are then vetted by GF and added to the catalog or are rejected.

I always just assumed it would be 100% created by GF staff designers.

1 Like

There have been a few mentions, including by @dan about Glowforge users being able to submit designs for sale in the catalog along with staff-created designs.

2 Likes

I get the feeling that it will be pretty heavily vetted by GF. BUT they do want user submissions.

I think their end goal (it has been hinted at somewhere) is to have sponsored professional designers. So Nike, or Gucci or whatever brand you would prefer, could have a professional designer that publishes for the their company, not GF per say.

While a unique buisness model. I hate paying for names. And hence i bought a laser cutter to make my own crap.

I hope user generated plans maintains a strong hold on the catalog. I wouldnt be opposed to something like the “regular” tag for the catalog. If you have several published designs, they work well, and GF finds you designs polished. Your rank changes and there is less oversight needed in your future designs.

Actually thinking about it, i would prefer to have heavy oversight on my first couple of published designs. Then i can get feedback and improve quickly.

6 Likes

We’ll have a mix of user designs that have been manually approved by our staff, staff-created designs, and 3rd party (branded) designs. Proportions TBD. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

There’s maybe half a dozen thoughtful questions in this thread; @dan, are more of these questions answerable now that it seems the Catalog is about to open up?

Also, kudos to the people in this thread for staying on topic! Way to go!

3 Likes

We’ll answer them (well, some of them) by launching the catalog. :slight_smile:

The catalog been lower priority lately as we’ve been all hands on deck on ship blockers. You wouldn’t believe how much time we spent getting the ‘would you like your Glowforge production unit now’ process working, for example.

14 Likes

Somewhere, possibly far down the road, it would be good to hear your reflections on the GF journey, especially lessons learned. There must be a lot of valuable info there for technical startups that focus on HW with a strong SW component. That sort of thing always fascinates me.

7 Likes

Someday! Someday when you all have your version 7 Glowforge-brand replicators… :slight_smile:

15 Likes

One of the best books I’ve ever read is the Soul of A New Machine by Tracey Kidder. It’s about the birthing process for a new computer - the human side of things was fascinating. Unfortunately, the computer company (Data General) didn’t survive to present day.

5 Likes

or maybe a second book?

2 Likes

I loved that book, especially as I was doing big iron programming at the time and worked also with some DG and CDC machines.

2 Likes

An excellent book!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.