Parametric paper/cardboard bin box (Fusion 360)

I’m starting to get a hang of Fusion 360, and after many false starts I got my first project working, a parametric box design so I can put our scrap cardboard to use:

Before:

0.1" cardboard there. The folds were cut at 500/75%, and I’ll dial the power down a bit next time to keep more meat on the corners–that was just starting to cut into the bottom ply. 500/full power was perfect for doing the outline cutout. I’ll probably also make the tabs a hair longer, too. They hold, but just barely.

31 Likes

And after:

34 Likes

Cool!

I havent opened the model yet to give this a good look but did you use the sheet metal features to create this?

3 Likes

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the file! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this file!

I’m a bead vendor, and I really need to revamp my inventory/storage situation. This is a project that has been on my to do list, and you just made it exponentially easier.

3 Likes

Really Slick. Well done!!!

2 Likes

Yep! Here’s the tutorial that got me started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDN44__L9E

5 Likes

Looks like someone is about to get very organized!

2 Likes

This is great! Thank you so much for sharing your work!

1 Like

Suggestion: Use 500/1% for your fold lines, and then use a straight edge and boning tool to crease the folds. Your box will end up being much sturdier.

2 Likes

Very nice is there any way we can get the blue print for this

Ah, thank you! I was wondering if there was a good way to make creases, didn’t know about boning tools. I imagine I’ll have to play with the bend radius a bit to get it to fit just right, but it sounds like it’ll be worth it. I unfolded the box above and tried bending it the other way, wound up tearing a couple of flaps off.

I’m not sure what you mean. The link in the original post is the Fusion 360 file, which can generate an SVG file for any height/width/depth/thickness combination you’d like. But you need to have a copy of Fusion 360, of course… If you mean the SVG file, I could upload one for the box above, but the dimensions were totally arbitrary. If you have specific dimensions you’d like me to generate SVG files from, I’d be happy to! I guess… post it in this thread? I’m still new to the forum here, not sure about best practices.

ok got I just did not see a blue print for it I am also new and never heard of that site but I am going to do some research looks like a very useful site.

1 Like