I was unpacking games the other day and am trying to fit them into a smaller allotted space than I previously had. As such it becomes really annoying when some games have a box that is 10x the size it needs to be. Many of these are card games. So, I decided that I would make a parametric design that is based on the size of the cards.
Ideally I measure the height and width of the cards, then the thickness of the deck of cards. I can also have a buffer so that there is a bit of extra room for the cards in the box as well as in-between the inner and outer boxes.
The yellow sides are the box that will slip over the inner box… I still have the narrow sides and the top to design.
When done all I’ll have to do is set the dimensions, export to Inkscape to add embellishments, engravings, etc… and then I’m off to the laser! Then I move on to the next game!
It’s been interesting determining the best approach. I started with an object representing the deck of cards - not shown in the photos. Then I moved on to the base of the box, then each of the sides and so on. I duplicate as much as possible. Opposing sides are identical, and they are symetrical, so I can draw half of it, then mirror that to create the rest.
Previous attempts at this have always ended up breaking the object when I try to change parameters, and this one does too, but only if I take it to extremes on the small side. If I keep it within reasonable measurements, then it works perfectly.
I think that a big key to this is testing. Every time I extrude a part, I start changing parameters to ensure that it all reacts the way it is supposed to.
Anyway, I’m nearing the end of the design, and next is figuring out the most efficient way to export the linework. Time to pull up some Fusion 360 YouTube videos!