Passthrough engraving not consistent

I am trying to use passthrough software to make images as large as possible,and have noticed that the second half of the design has been engraved at a different power. The power is set at 1000/FULL. I am using a JPEG image and originally thought it was a resolution issue, but had the same issue with a PNG. I switched from using greyscale to dots and there was no change. The board is completely flat inside the GF throughout both sections of the engraving.

As you can see there is a visible difference where the first engraving stopped and the second part started. The letters are smaller on the top half as well due to the GF engraving at a different power.
Anyone else having this issue, and any suggestions how to resolve? Thank you.

Support can’t help with passthrough issues, as it is in beta. You need to post in the discussion thread so the dev. team can see it and respond.

1 Like

Which discussion board is that?

He linked to it in his post (twice). :wink:

The change in size makes me think it’s a focus issue rather than a power issue. I don’t have a pro, so I’m not terribly familiar with the passthrough software, but I’m wondering if the autofocus hit in the wrong spot on the second part, or something.

2 Likes

When the piece passes through the back it lifts the material very slightly and needs to be forced down with bed pins. That tiny difference can make quite a difference in the engraving.

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble while running a print using Pro Passthrough beta. The information you received from our other community members is correct.

The new Pro Passthrough feature is in beta and we are still frequently changing the software. Because of this, our team can’t offer email support for this feature right now. The thread @Eflyguy linked to is a great resource as expert users, support team members, and the engineers working on the feature are all reading those postings.

You might also find this Tutorial helpful, particularly the list of “Things to watch out for” on the forum – most people find the answer to their problem there.

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble with any of the rest of the software, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!