Passthrough hold-down pin

I have found long materials tend to not be as flat as proofgrade sheets, so I’ve been using hold-down pins but not pushed down all the way so that I can slide the material down during each step. They also act as guides for the edges of the material.

I decided, why not make a versions specific for this task, then realized they work just fine as regular hold-downs as well.

I present:

Passthrough pin.svg.zip (2.4 KB)

I use 4, one at each “corner” where the material enters and exits the bed. I angle them “inwards” so that the material is pulled down from them, not pushed against them. ( \ … / )

The little tab is 0.1" off the bed, because the materials I mostly work with are 0.08-0.15" thick. Anyone here could quickly adjust this to any height they need.

45 Likes

Cool! (And time to eat the banana.) :smile:

4 Likes

I can’t eat them once the black spots start to form. My ex loved them that way.

… forgot to add, didn’t want to post this out in the community and hint that passthrough was nearly “a thing”.

1 Like

Yeah, good call. You can shift it out after the Passthrough goes live.
(They are at perfect ripeness at that stage…if you want to save it, throw it in the freezer. It will get a black skin, but it will make excellent banana-nut bread.)

10 Likes

Thank you for the pin!

Also, if you slice and freeze the banana in a baggie. Put in blender and cover with milk … blend for a creamy shake.

5 Likes

Throw in some dates and you have a winner.

2 Likes

Or, apparently, you can cut a hole in it and plant an aloe vera.

9 Likes

Perfect for freezing to use later, banana bread, muffins, etc.

3 Likes

I always peel before freezing them in a freezer bag often then eat them like ice cream while still frozen.

4 Likes

Practical + smart! I love practical + smart people and projects! Thanks for sharing this version of hold-down pins.

I have yet to try the passthrough feature (just don’t know what I want to make).

1 Like

I peel, chop them up, and freeze. Later, I throw them in a blender with 1 cup water + 1 cup baby greens of some sort. Yum!!

2 Likes

I am with you on “over ripe” bananas. get a vitamix blender. peel said bananas, put in freezer bag. once frozen you are 1/2 way to a banana strawberry smoothie. without adding any ice.

6 Likes

Every once and a while I need to de-banana my freezer. They sometimes get lost in between smoothie sessions and banana bread baking. Last night I bought a some bananas that seemed just on the edge of ripe. Bottom ones were perfect for cereal last night. this morning they are all ready. Now I have to eat bananas for a couple days.

3 Likes

Thank you. Every time I see a banana I think about banana nut bread.

1 Like

These pins are amazing!! just what I needed to hold down my material. Thank you so much for creating and sharing!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the file!

2 Likes

A banana like that… you peel it. throw it in a freezer bag and toss into the freezer. accumulate a few. grab your Vitamix, the frozen bananas some frozen strawberries and some almond make and make a smoothie :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still have that banana. Just haven’t printed anything needing a scale for a while…

18 Likes

That’s not a banana, that’s a mummy.

2 Likes

You’ve never had fire-roasted banana?

3 Likes