Passthrough Slot Re-Laser (Did Not Cut Through)

Hi everyone! I just used the passthrough slot for the first time under the new Beta testing. Is there a way to re-laser an area if it doesn’t cut all the way through? I didn’t see this option. It did however, line up perfectly but it didn’t cut through. Was I supposed to take the tray out? It didn’t say to in the instructions, so just checking.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

At this point it could be very difficult to get it right. If you have not moved the work yet I would get a screen-shot with the Precision Numbers showing. Those numbers are key particularly if you have used bed pins to precisely locate the work. If you still have the masking on you can try to get everything as close as you can and run the smallest cut available as a score at top speed single digit power so as not go through the masking and with that as a mark move either the work or the design to line up and recut.

The result is hardly guaranteed, but more possible now than before, and could be the difference between working out and scrap. It might still be scrap but it would be so at this point anyway.

Alternatively you can wait for support to look at your logs and if you have removed the work then get pictures to show, and do a GOGM marking time and pictures, and also photos of the laser window on the side of the head and under the left side to show them as clean (or not)

Thank you! I was wondering if there was a way to relaser when you realize it didn’t cut all the way through? Specifically if it is still in the bed.

1 Like

Not when using the passthrough alignment feature.

In general, you need to ensure your settings are reliable before committing to a big print.

That would be nice but machines and computers aren’t always reliable. :woman_shrugging:t4: Thanks for your input.

It’s 100% reliable, until it fails -at which point it will need to be repaired or replaced (or retired, like most of us).

My 2017 machine still cuts proofgrade using default settings without issue.

1 Like

The is little more reliable than computers and even these lasers unless something breaks or they are not given proper commands. Giving the proper commands are often very difficult but one of the reasons I like the Glowforge is easier than most things of this nature.

Yep. I gave the same commands I usually do, and it did not cut this material. Just wondering if there was a relaser option. It’s not, now I know. Thanks.

1 Like

There are many reasons, from smoke catching fire from a difference in material (even differences in locations in the same material) to a tiny bit of smutz in the path of the laser (four places for this, two windows, the lens, and mirror) the main lens is not “cup side up” the set focus measured the wrong place, the material is not flat or even warped in the middle of the cut as can happen. All these are different than the “same thing” and different results can happen even if computer and machine do the same thing each time. The nice thing is you can eliminate an ornery machine from the start.

I’m glad to hear that the alignment worked well while using the Beta Pro Passthrough feature! I’m sorry that it didn’t cut through the material. Unfortunately there isn’t an option to automatically re-cut along the paths in your design. In order to gather feedback about this for our team, we’ve started a thread on the community form for our beta participants to share information when they run into trouble.

Regarding your unit not cutting through during your print, there are several things that need to be checked if the laser doesn’t cleanly cut through the material. I’ve included several links that will take you to reference instructions and photos. Please turn off your Glowforge and check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print.

• Print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Please let us know how it goes!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it.

If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.