Passthru bug

I did 3 passthru cuts today I haven’t used the passthru in a while. This is the problem I had. After the 2nd movement of the board forward I was no longer given a preview of the alignment. The menu comes up to continue or align manually but there is no image of my project any more. I just told it to continue and it finishes all the rest of the cut. Then I move it and continue again and it works but I don’t get a preview of the alignment. these cuts were 50 inches long a came out fine but very worrisome when you don’t get a preview.

Hello, @syncro53 I am sorry for the delay in response. We aim to provide quick and prompt service and it looks like we dropped the ball here. I will do my best to try and get this resolved for you. Do you happen to have the date and time of the print that gave you this trouble? I have a test print I would like for you to try that will help me establish a baseline for the trouble we are seeing.

I’m sorry that you’ve had trouble with your Pro Passthrough print. So that we can look into this for you, if you haven’t done so already, will you read the section titled “Extra Pointers” on our Pro Passthrough support page, and then run a test print?

Here are the steps for the test:

1. Load a sheet of material into the Pro Passthrough slot and ensure that the portion sticking out of the printer is supported so the material lies flat on the crumb tray inside the printer.

2. Double-check that the material is completely flat against the crumb tray. A quick way to do this is to press gently on the material where it rests on the tray and feel if it moves. If not, you’re good.

3. It can help to use pins to hold the material flat against the tray. For example, a lot of customers use small pieces of scrap to print these pins available in the free laser design section.

4. Open the Smooth Curves Stencil from your design library.

5. Turn on the Pro Passthrough feature in the menu bar.

6. Select the entire design, and arrange it so that the dotted line at the top of the work area is at the tips of the arrows in the design

7. Click Print and run the first section of the design.

8. After the first section completes, move your material through the Pro Passthrough slot so the printed area is more than 3 inches away from the front of the Glowforge.

9. Follow the prompts and run the 2nd portion of the test print.

After the test print completes, please send us the following:
  • Photos of the front and back of the finished print.

• The date and time you ran the test along with your time zone.

• A photo of the bottom of your print head showing the lens and both windows.

Thank you for sending us this information. We’ll retrieve the data from this test print, review everything and follow up with next steps.

Attachments

Thanks for getting back to me although late. I don’t remember the date and time I did the three prints. Liked I said in my report the software works for the first 2 movements of the material through the passthru. I don’t lose the ability to review alignment until the third movement. So running your test file that only moves the material once will not help. I’m hoping that the problem was with my file. Although it was 2 different files they were originally 1 file that I split into2. Not because of length but because it was 3 pieces that couldn’t fit the width of the bed. Like I said I just trusted the software that it would auto align and it did. I think I moved the material forward 6 or 7 times. I’m very impressed with the passthru feature but I don’t use it very often.
Thank you
Edwin

Thank you for all of the amazing details in your last response! I wanted to let you know that we’re seeing this too and our team is looking into it further.

We’ve had others report that, even though the preview of their Pro Passthrough print section isn’t showing, it prints as expected when they click “Continue” and then run the print. It sounds like this is the case for you as well. This method may be a way for you to continue using the feature while we work on the issue.

We will let you know as soon as we have more information to share!

Was watching a glowforge video live stream on you tube about using the passthru and they had the same issue. But they didn’t address it they just pressed continue. So this has to be a problem that you can recreate because I saw it happen to your own people.

Thank you. As my colleague Danielle mentioned previously, we’re seeing this too, and our team is looking into it now.

Unfortunately I don’t have any more details I can share at the moment. I’m terribly sorry for the inconvenience. I’ll follow up on this thread when I have more information.

Thank you for your patience while our team keeps working on this. I’ve heard back from our engineers, and they were wondering if you could do a quick test and let us know how it goes. When the issue next occurs and the artwork for the next section of a Pro Passthrough print doesn’t show in the app, please refresh your web browser and let me know if the preview is still blank, or if this leads to your artwork displaying correctly in the app.

Our team looks forward to hearing how this goes!

I don’t have any passthru projects at this time but I will give it a try.

I haven’t heard back from you, but I wanted to let you know that we’ve made some updates to the Glowforge app that we believe should resolve this issue. Whenever you get a chance to do so, could you please try a Pro Passthrough Print with more than two sections, and let me know if you continue to run into any trouble? Thanks!

I haven’t tested it yet but like I said it just scared me when the first time it happened. But I trusted the software and it continues on just fine. I reported it mainly so anyone else that came across the bug wouldn’t be so surprised.

Thank you for letting us know. We’ll go ahead and close this thread for now. If you do run into any trouble when you next run a Pro Passthrough print, please reach out to our team and we’ll be happy to help!