Patience is a virtue, but

First, the good news: my GF PRO JUST ARRIVED and the box seems to be in pretty good shape (minus a couple plastic handles, but that seems to be the norm).

Now, the bad news: I now have to sit here staring at it until I can entice a friend or neighbor to help set it up :frowning: . [Quick backstory: I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy, a form of Muscular Dystrophy, and can barely lift a pound.] I was actually expecting it Monday (which is what My UPS was telling me), so I had lined up help for that day, but the UPS guy just surprised me today. I know patience is a virtue (and in the grand scheme of things, this is hardly a blip), but for right now, this instant, itā€™s driving me crazy!!

36 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your SMA. Also sorry you have to wait to get set up and running. I do think you will find a lot of joy with your Pro! Looking forward to seeing what you make!

7 Likes

Also sorry you have to deal with SMA. If I lived close I rush over and help you set it up! In Northern New Hampshire Iā€™m not that close to anyone!

4 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: . Thatā€™s a good point, though ā€“ Are there any GFā€™ers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area out there who want to come help/play??? (Iā€™m on the north side of FW.)

5 Likes

I had to do the same thing - sit and stare at it until my husband got home. All. Day. Long.
(and he was late that night, which almost resulted in his early demise)

I know your pain. :no_mouth:

13 Likes

Since I obviously have some time to kill right now, I thought Iā€™d share a little about my personal hopes for the GF:

As I mentioned above, I live with a genetic condition called SMA. Fortunately, I have a ā€œrelativelyā€ mild form and still maintain a large degree of independence (though it does get harder each passing year). I canā€™t walk or stand or raise my hands over my head, but I can still get around (even drive) and do things with my hands at table height. I also have this insatiable desire to make things ā€“ even to the point that I often succumb to the urge to buy big power tools that I canā€™t even use myself (but I like having them available for when I coax a friend into helping). In the past decade or so, the advent of computer-aided manufacturing (and associated computer-aided design software) has opened up new possibilities for what I can do ā€˜in houseā€™. I have two CNC routers, a 3D printer, and a whole bunch of electronics equipment (my background is electronics design). Although I still need occasional help (like securing a piece of wood to the CNC table), I can do a lot of the design work on the PC and ā€˜press a buttonā€™ to watch it become reality.

Which brings me to the Glowforge. The thought of an affordable laser cutter/engraver (sorry, @dan, but I refuse to call it a 3D printer :slight_smile: ) struck right to my core ā€“ which is probably why I jumped in on the crowdfunding opportunity early on the first day (and stuck with it through all or the delays). Finally, a machine that I can load myself and get a quick result on a variety of materials. In fact, I believe the hardest part for me is actually going to be opening the lid of the 'forge (and I have a plan for that as well)!

So, to @dan and all of those at Glowforge who made this machine a reality, it is with hopeful anticipation of a smooth setup that I say Thank You!

-Scott

26 Likes

So glad you have the Glowforge. It sounds like a perfect tool for your situation. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. If I werenā€™t in Missouri, Iā€™d be right over!

4 Likes

Itā€™s not that far! Whatā€™s 600 miles between fellow Glowforgers?!?

4 Likes

Yes. Too bad I work weekends. Iā€™d just probably go ahead and do it!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your circumstances. I think youā€™ll find the Glowforge is a game changer. It takes the place of a bunch of other tools, and thereā€™s very little lifting involved. I think you will also love the Proofgrade materials, especially the finished ones like the plywood and hardwoods. Itā€™s so nice to be able to take something youā€™ve made right out of the Glowforge, snap it together, and you have a finished product.

5 Likes

Oh man! What suspense you must be in! My girlfriend and I live in DFW, Lewisville to be exact. Not terribly far from you, sounds like. We ordered our Pro on day 2, eagerly awaiting our own email. If youā€™re still needing help I may be able to drive out for a few minutes tomorrow (Sunday) to help you lift and unpack? -Brad

3 Likes

I havenā€™t personally received my glowforge yet, but I know from what Iā€™ve been reading that your going to love it. Also, sorry to here about your SMA. I too have a form of Muscular Dystrophy. Itā€™s called Congenital Muscular Dystrophy that means I have very weak muscles all over and can barely lift 2 pounds so I know how you feel about having to wait for people to help you all the time. But Iā€™ve learned that thereā€™s always someone else in the world in a worse situation than I am in. I hope you enjoy your glowforge and donā€™t be afraid to post pictures of your projects. I love to see all the stuff people are making. :grinning::glowforge:

7 Likes

Appreciate it, but I finally conned a neighbor into helping me set it up (just about done). Let me know if you want to come out and play sometime though!

7 Likes

Excellent! I might have to take you up on that while we keep our fingers crossed for our own email and delivery. Enjoy and make cool things!! -Brad

Call it whatever you want - Iā€™m just happy you have it, and canā€™t wait to see what you do with it!

1 Like

If onlyā€¦ anywhere close to Nashville and it would be time for a roadtrip.

I am waiting on my tracking info on mine. I am in North Richland Hills. I would love to come by sometime and see the new toy and watch you cut something.

Have you received your email yet. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and have already received my proof grade materials box. I just need to receive my machine.

Hi @frank1 yep Iā€™m up and running! Delivery was maybe a week after my proofgrade box. If you have My UPS set up you can check your ā€˜delivery calendarā€™ to see if you have any deliveries on the way that are further out than 2 days. Itā€™s harder to find so you might have to run a search for the calendar.