Patterned MDF source?

Does anyone know of a source for patterned MDF, sort of like Ponoko uses:

Alternatively where can I go to have MDF printed? I suspect buying the equipment to do it myself might be cost-prohibitive.

2 Likes

Why not use your GF to cut a stencil, then spray your own mdf ?

John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Color and Black? You could spray a color and then a very light engrave of the pattern or alternatively stamp pad rubber or even a color ink jet printer that could do flat materials.

2 Likes

Or why not go completely mad, and engrave the design in acrylic. Then cast a rubber layer over the acrylic. Now you have the basis for making your own printing roller !

Perhaps I need a rest. . . . . . . .
:upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Paint layers of two contrasting paints, then do a light engrave to remove the top color in whatever pattern you like…someone recently posted a photo of a box they’d done that with, and it was beautiful!

6 Likes

Thanks, all. Those are all great options (I love the creativity here!) and I’m sure I’ll try some of them at some point, but right now I really just want printed MDF. :slight_smile:

I don’t necessarily want the same designs Ponoko has. And I’ve got some fun multi-colored patterns I’ve purchased that I’d also love to print on the MDF. I can print them and glue them on, of course, but I’m just trying to source it out. I don’t enjoy doing things like that and it’s much less practical for mass applications. so I am curious if I can get what I want taken care of elsewhere.

1 Like

There is always that! And it would be practical for considerable volume, but just and ordinary sign painting business could print the MDF in sizes that would do the Glowforge.

2 Likes

Thank you. I missed that part. I’m not sure my ink jet could handle MDF. I’ll have to look into that. Ink jet prints generally aren’t water proof, so they’ll definitely need some extra sealant.

And, also thanks for the sign business tip. Will look into that, too!

1 Like

I do my own…using an airbrush and acrylic paints…lay down a base color and stencil on other colors…
Did the whole sheet then cut out flat pack ornaments.
20161129_181802-1

15 Likes

Look for a sign shop in your area with a direct to substrate printer. I know several in Los Angeles and Atlanta but sadly am not familiar with vendors in the Boston area. It typically costs around $5/sq ft including the MDF. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! I will hunt around… I just needed an idea of where to start and what I’d be looking at, so this is perfect.

1 Like

Thanks for the visuals. These are lovely! I definitely like the look of the airbrushing for that type of design. Do you seal them at all?

Not really needed for what I was using them for, but you could easily spray a clear coat or shellac

1 Like

Not a box, but same idea.

dc761b9207ed126a1e1e9b2d03f685995b5305cb_1_690x321

4 Likes