PCS Plaque

A friend saw what I’d been doing with inlay and asked if I’d make something for one of his departing Soldiers. So I did! His basic design and words. Was a fun exercise.

Oak, Cherry, Purpleheart, Yellowheart, Aspen, and Maple.

If I do more, I hope to have my router up and running so I can do a more decorative edge.

26 Likes

I can’t think of a better gift. You and your buddy did a great job!

1 Like

That came out great!

It is funny how over time our expectations get higher. Someone posts a plaque that is all engraving… well, ok, it is nice, but engraving is so ordinary now. It takes a step up to catch the eye these days.

1 Like

We definitely get spoiled, don’t we? It also makes trying to price your own stuff really hard when you’re like “Oh that, it’s super easy!” even though it’s not for other people.

2 Likes

Nice inlay

2 Likes

Sweet. I’ve got a similar commission coming up for some former Army buddies. Love this idea.

2 Likes

The improvements in corners makes stuff like this a LOT more doable!

2 Likes

This is going to be a cherished gift. Wonderful work.

2 Likes

Very nice work.

Just a unsolicited suggestion - there are some very nice rope-style and similar repeated designs that could be 3D-engraved just inside the edge of the back plate, and would frame it nicely.

1 Like

A good idea!

A friend of mine hit me up for a combatives tournament trophy. I’m pretty stoked about doing it.

1 Like

Oh cool! That’ll be fun!

Glowforge requires us to confine discussion of manual settings in their forums to the Beyond the Manual category. The current preferred practice is to either move the entire thread to Beyond the Manual or, to start a new thread there and, link to it from this one.

Let us know if you want the thread moved.

Sorry 'bout that! Fixed.

1 Like