Pen Turning. To engrave, or not to engrave :)

So I’m getting back to my woodworking roots, so to speak, and purchased a lathe a couple weeks ago. Last night I turned my first pen. I’m just wondering now, do I engrave it, or not lol

19 Likes

I have found that it is easier to engrave before assembling the pen.
In your application of choice (I use Inkscape) draw a rectangle to hold your pen blank and put the engraving inside the rectangle.
When you do your printing, cut the rectangle first in cardboard and then remove the cutout without moving the cardboard. Then perform the engraving.

5 Likes

I have a couple more blanks, I MAY try engraving lol. Might practice on some pencils first haha

3 Likes

What kind of lathe did you purchase?

1 Like

Just a pre-owned Wen 34027 12x16"
Nothing too fancy, but it works and the price was right :slight_smile:

Would be cool if you could use the :glowforge: to engrave or score some knurling on the lower section.

1 Like

Nice pen. I would engrave, but minimally. Less is better, finer is better. Is it a gift?

2 Likes

I like your idea @primal_healer of doing some small knurling on the lower section. I may try that on the next one.

Thank you @gewubs, not bad for a first try making one. I agree though, less is more. This one wasn’t a gift, it was practice haha. Actually my first attempt, and I’m pretty sure my wife has already laid claim to it

3 Likes

I can see why. Is it Walnut?

1 Like

I’ve only engraved one so far, it was koa wood. It came out awesomely, gonna dig around and see if I took any pictures. Was a gift for my Nephew for his mission.

Edit: I had my nephew send a picture of the pen =)

3 Likes

It was actually Olivewood. I have a ton of blanks though, so i’ll be making more soon

1 Like

In case you needs some inspiration:

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.