Pentakis Dodecahedron

Deliciously fabulous!!!

3 Likes

Holy moly this is amazing!

3 Likes

Epic! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Your inlays are stunning! Such an amazing piece of art!

4 Likes

This is gorgeous. What sorcery did you use to be able to get them all to stick together so well? I’m jealous of your ingenuity.

2 Likes

No sorcery, just plastic and M3 screws. I designed the connectors in Fusion 360, and 3D printed them. Screws were hidden by using a second layer glued to the outside of each face. This specific shape was unique because I had to design 2 different connectors using different angles, where as the previous objects used one connector with potential multiple angles. It took a couple of tries with the Pentakis Dodecahedron to get it right. The other ones were much easier.

18 Likes

Very Impressive. Also this is yet another reminder that I should potentially invest in a 3D Printer, and that I should have paid more attention geometry class. Thank you for sharing, your work is inspiring and I’m envious of your skills.

4 Likes

WOW!!! It looks amazing!

3 Likes

Incredible work! Love it!

2 Likes

Because Hexagons are the best-agons, any chance you’ll want to collaborate and do a hexagon version of this? what would that even be called?

3 Likes

I’ll look to see if there are any mostly hexagon polyhedrals that are available.

3 Likes

You cannot make a polyhedron out of hexagons, septagons, or any larger regular polygon alone. The reason is because their angles are too big. If you try to fit three hexagons together meeting a vertex, they are forced to lie in the same plane because their three 120° angles add up to a full 360°. The closest I can think of would be a truncated icosahedron, which has pentagonal and hexagonal faces. I’ve made a couple of these before.

7 Likes

Even if they did not cover every edge? Even a duodecahedron could be made of circles if you 3d printed the corners. A pumpkin like take of saddle curves could be very interesting though I guess you would need extra shapes along the way.

2 Likes

This is so adorable! I love it!

6 Likes