Pentakis Dodecahedron

Are we still doing Polyhedrals?

:proofgrade: Acrylic, Walnut, and Maple assembled with 3D printed parts to create a pentakis dodecahedron. 60 sides, and countless little pieces to inlay. If you ever ask yourself, should I create a new shape from scratch with 60 sides and a custom inlay on each. Just say no. I’m happy with the results, but this IS my last polyhedral for a while. I promise.

Want to make your own Pentakis dodecahedron? Files to 3d Print your own internals can be found on Etsy.

89 Likes

I’m doing them in my head, since Charm is dead right now. I’m waiting on support to get to my post in P&S, so maybe they can get me printing again (hope, hope, hope!).

This one is beautiful – are those inlays, or veneer over acrylic?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw that you said inlay. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Holy cow! Nice inlay work! (And a great way to use up scraps, eh?)

2 Likes

Just when I think polygons are totally hackneyed and yesterday someone (you) come up with a off the chart execution.

9 Likes

You’re insane. Beautifully insane.

12 Likes

Yes. AND, the pass-through slot on the pro really maximizes the ability to go edge to edge, thus saving materials.

3 Likes

I try to be original. Until someone does that 120 sided shape, there are plenty of options left for polyhedrals!

4 Likes

I just posted that one with 240 sides…

3 Likes

How is this pentakis not internally lit?!

5 Likes

That was the original intent. I even bought the LED (fairy) lights for the inside. However, some of the acrylic was translucent (pink), so it would have looked uneven. Either I skipped a color, or it would look uneven and weird. I decided, or my OCD decided that internally lit could be a future project…

4 Likes

Beautiful! But if you keep that up, I think you might summon something.

9 Likes

Made me say “WOW.” out loud.
The inlays… Did you cut them or print them? If you cut them, how did you not lose them in the tray?!

2 Likes

Cut. None of the little pieces are small enough to fall into crumb tray. Masking tape helps to pull them out of the bed and keep them all together.

1 Like

Really? How big’s the whole piece?
P.S.: Damn… Just looked at it again… WOW.

2 Likes

Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper for scale.

18 Likes

Oh, goodness! That’s incredible!

4 Likes

Gosh dern European measurements. Be American. Use a banana. :crazy_face:

13 Likes

Ohmygosh, amazing! You have certainly bumped this concept up to a higher level. Next step—museum or gallery!

6 Likes

Here is hoping for Charm’s revival :persevere: The world certainly needs more Charm.:anguished:

6 Likes

Absolutely amazeballz! WOW!

6 Likes