Pentegonal Icositetrahedron

This is a prototype of a different method for creating polyhedrals than I normally make. No screws or glue, as each side interlocks with the corresponding piece. Each face frame was 3D Printed on my new Bambu X1-Carbon, and the Iced Holographic Flake Glitter Cast Acrylic from Houston Acrylic was lasercut on the :glowforge:.

39 Likes

Great work designing those components! :star_struck:

15 Likes

That’s wild! Love the design. It’s the fanciest gerbil ball ever!

17 Likes

like the Acrylic

14 Likes

How do you like your 3d printer? I’ve been looking at that one for awhile now

11 Likes

It’s nothing short of amazing. Very fast. The parts I’ve printed are so nice, look like molded plastic. Currently playing with the ability to do multicolored prints with the AMS. The textured plate release is so nice, no need for glue. I wish it were bigger. Hopefully they release a larger version in the future.

16 Likes

Oh my!!! Beautiful! The 3D parts look amazing!! I just added it to my want list!

12 Likes

That sounds great. I am completely new to 3d printing, never used one, haven’t seen one in person, etc. How hard do you think the learning curve would be for something like this for me to learn you think?

8 Likes

Well, I’ve had 7 3D printers, and this is the out of the box easiest one I’ve ever used. Most of what I printed before bambu was polyhedral connectors that were hidden on the inside, so the quality wasn’t that important and printed everything at draft settings. With the X1-C I’ll print more high quality multi-colored prints, so I’m looking forward to that. The build quality of the Bambu is really good. I’ve already printed a bunch of mods, and have a queue of things ready to print.

17 Likes

I really like it.

So the next step is to design the frame to encase the acrylic (just put a pause in while printing so you can insert the cut pieces).

Give it a try, you’ll like the result.

14 Likes

Good idea.

10 Likes

This turned out awesome!

8 Likes

My 12 yo and i had fun figuring out how to pronounce “Pentegonal Icositetrahedron” :smiley:

12 Likes

Such lovely work.

Do the connections hold each other directly? Does it get stronger when they are all
Connected?

7 Likes

Yes, there is somewhat of a satisfying snap when they interlock. Yes, its pretty solid now that it’s fully assembled.

8 Likes

Looks amazing. I, too, have never seen a 3D printer in person, so I can’t imagine having 7 of them! Well, I may have seen one once years and years ago when Best Buy had one they were trying to sell. I don’t remember much about it except they’d made a little orange dinosaur. Love the work all you that have them do on them!

7 Likes

Very cool GF + 3D project!

@wenning08 Go for it. No regrets here.

54390c9dfe9ca0b087f9492ecbe2917af23c80da_2_690x388

:wink:

8 Likes

I knew you’d done it with acrylic sheet before, and I’ve done the same kind of thing embedding several different materials including NPC tags.

4 Likes

Another amazing build! This one looks so much easier to assemble without all the screws! Fancy acrylic too :star_struck:

5 Likes

Oooo, nice! I really like the smooth, minimalist look of those printed frames.

5 Likes