Perfect Fit Inlay

There’s a YouTube channel called Make Something that is helpful for beginners working with wood. He has a Glowforge and has a video with it, too. I like him because he encourages experimentation and enjoying the process without overthinking.

4 Likes

Wow those look awesome! Thanks for posting your results I think I’m sold.

1 Like

So how would I do this? I cannot wrap my head around how to get the laser to engrave out the depth of the inlay. I get the kerf I would add like .01 to the size of my image or something, but to get the proper depth of the engrave. Please help. I’m going to try it on a pin today, well hopefully if somebody reply’s.

I would play with the power and speed to get a engrave depth that was close and then sand the two surfaces flush. Or cut the pocket slightly deeper and fill it with wood glue and press flush. It’s been almost three years since I did an inlay like this. It took half a dozen tests to get right and the settings I used on the Pre_Production machine do not translate to current machines or S/W.

You could also take thin veneer materials and cut the inlay design out and then fit the inverse into the hole. The fitted inlay could then be glued to a thicker material if desired. Just requires cuts and is much cleaner.

Others may have better suggestions.

4 Likes

Thanks. I was just wondering if there were some way to tell by the type of material and subtracting or adding to the focal depth of the laser. The way you described was how I was going to try to do it, but I just imagined there was a simpler way using math. I get all material is harder or softer so you would have to do a test or two. I just don’t know how people do these and almost get it perfect. I was going to also try and use a veneer sample I got from Johnson plastics. That I wouldn’t be able to sand.

I’d suggest running a trial piece with a bunch of different engrave powers close to what you think would work, maybe just a small circle. For something like this unless someone happens to have the exact same materials as you (down to the grain, moisture content, etc.) then testing is the way to go