Perfect Fit Inlay

This inlay material is apparently used for fishing rods and lures.

http://www.therodroom.com/shop/pc/Abalone-c41.htm

Edit: I shouldn’t try to respond via email. Thanks @cynd11.

3 Likes

Your links didn’t come through for some reason, but I can Google the store names and find it. Thanks so much!

By the way, you really should take your phone number out of the message. This forum is public for viewing.

1 Like

If a source is located the manufacturer sells a sample pack which may provide enough material to figure out cut settings.

http://www.aquabluemaui.com/aqcont.html

This stuff looks great, just what I was imagining.

It may be that the Rod Room stuff is the same product. How many abalone veneer makers can there be?

1 Like

I just found another source for veneers. This is a large assortment of various types of exotic woods in scrap sizes with the smallest being 1" x 3". I just ordered a box and the price came to $49 which included the shipping and some handling costs. http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Box-of-Marquetry-Veneer-50-Square-Feet.html

18 Likes

I’m very interested to know your experience with this box of veneers.

2 Likes

I will let you know when I get it, hopefully this week. :relaxed:

2 Likes

There are many products designed to be poured onto surfaces to produce that thick coating in one step. They’re typically epoxy resins, marketed as “pour-on” or “bar top” finishes. You can make interesting tables with real objects inside - sea shells or antique tools or beer mats or whatever. Just make sure what you are covering doesn’t float!!!

3 Likes

And that there’s no air bubbles! Or is this not a problem with these products?

If it’s the stuff I think it is usually you wave a blowtorch or other heat source over the surface from a distance to pop the bubbles before it sets.

3 Likes

Excellent stuff. I use that Epoxy in some of my projects. It’s great for areas that are perfectly flat, and you can get away with using it on the Inside of something. But if you have to get an even coat across two different planes, it’s really not the best choice. It is extremely difficult to “match” epoxy pouring depths and have a “seamless” transition from one plane to another.

By applying many thin layers of lacquer, epoxy, tung/danish oil, etc… you will end up with a smoother surface without drips, “slump”, or runs.

1 Like

I received my box of veneer today and took some pictures to show you what came in the box. I am very happy with the assortment of veneers that I got. There are several of most of the different woods. I stacked all of the veneer and took a picture but it didn’t come out well, but it measures 8" high. The veneer is not a consistant thickness and is not backed. I knew that when I ordered though. A few pieces that I measured are: .032" - .74mm, .022" - .52mm, and .024" - .64mm.

I had already put everything away when I saw how out of focus the last picture was and did not retake it.
It is hard to see that there are stacks of veneer in the pictures but it is a nice selection and I am very pleased.

27 Likes

SCORE! Have fun!!

2 Likes

Wow, looks like you really made out on that deal! Are you already familiar with most of these woods, or are any new to you?

In the 2nd photo, there are two types that I find especially striking … both of the reddish toned woods in the bottom corners of the photos (one is darker with a bit of a knot or burl, the other looks to be a brighter/more orangey red with some chatoyance maybe?). Do you know what types of wood those pieces are?

2 Likes

I am sorry but I don’t know what that wood is, but I did learn a new word from you. Chatoyance, thanks. There was a lot of wood with that glow. Sapale is one that I have always liked and there was a lot of it in the box. :grin:

5 Likes

Oh good! I’m glad that I could pass along that (recently acquired) bit of info :slight_smile: I was familiar with its use in regards to gemstones, but this forum recently taught me that it applies to wood as well.

2 Likes

That might actually be a good thing in some ways. I cut some paper-backed veneer on my laser cutter and boy did that stuff stink! I haven’t cut leather, but the paper-backed veneer was definitely pretty bad. My laser cutter was rented the renters cut a whole bunch more (~9.5 hours worth of actual laser time (not including loading and unloading) almost entirely cutting) and the bad smell was the quickly brought up when describing how the job went.

I just figured I’d throw this out there in case a bad smell will factor into someone’s buying decision.

I know people have talked about the Proofgrade veneer, but I can’t recall what’s been said about it. If Glowforge (Inc.) fixed the smell, that might be a big selling point!

1 Like

That is beautiful hope the thinness in the future doesn’t give you too much treble. :wink:

3 Likes

Most woods like that the kerf IS the line width. So by using one without line for the fill space and cutting the piece with the line worked out…Happy accident on your part …lol

9 Likes

Thanks for explaining that. I couldn’t see how it could fit exactly with no kerf compensation.

2 Likes