Perpetual Calendar

So my boss’s birthday was yesterday and I was almost sure he wasn’t going to be in the office this week. I figured that would give me plenty of time to make something for him. I was mistaken. I rushed home yesterday and drew up a calendar design. I’ve seen a bunch online for sale ant figured I could do one just as good.
Before committing my precious material to it, I decided to try it out in cardboard to make sure everything would work. So far so good!

Afterwards I decided I would add some TCU stuffs to the design. I don’t sports, but he does. I thought about doing the whole acrylic paint inlay thing but figured I didn’t have enough time if I wanted to get it to him today. It did ok.

So I hit a snag. I wanted to stain all but the number board a dark walnut for contrast. Even with some sanding, the maple ply doesn’t wanna play ball. Luckily I tend to work nondestructivley so I only tried the spacers in-between the wood that will never be seen. The dark area is where my sander got away from me and went through the wood layer.

I suppose PG veneer would solve the problem, but I’ve never used it before and cutting out all those engraved areas after the fact seems like a nightmare to mess with.
Do I just veneer some draftboard and engrave that instead?

26 Likes

I’d probably leave it like that, it looks great, and I don’t think you’ll get that pre-finished wood to take stain evenly.

Maybe next time, just cut the other parts out of the walnut or cherry ply. (Tough to see the engraved text on walnut.)

2 Likes

This is a really great gift! I like it just the way it is too. Where does that toad go? I fear toads more than frogs, unless I suppose the frog is a tiny poisonous tree frog.

1 Like

I think it needs contrast. I may remake it and try to paint in the engraving.
The TCU horned frog will either go on the back, or I’ll let it hide behind the number board. I haven’t made up my mind which direction it should go. Either way, it’s the backplate.