Personalized Lego Measuring Tool

So it probably doesn’t need explaining that combining Lego and Lasers is like every boys dream come true, and, even though I’m rapidly approaching fifty, having a ten year old son means I get to live vicariously through my mini-me. I definitely have aspirations of being a Lego Master of some description…maybe in another life…Enough about me…

So, this project was borne of a childhood wish I made to myself forty years ago. I used to count ‘studs’ over and over and never understood why there wasn’t a measuring tool on each box or in each instruction booklet. Well, once in a while they DO actually include a measure for the axles, but I figured there’s still an opportunity. Plus, it’s another excuse for me to bond with my son some more over a shared interest.

This really exploits the accuracy of the Glowforge. Lego is a precision toy. I love how bricks I owned almost half a century ago still fit together with those my son manages to convince me to purchase in Target in 2020.

After much designing in Illustrator, I decided to engrave the numbers and letters, and ‘score’ the rest. Had I scored the whole lot, it would have been much quicker than the 45 minutes it ultimately took.

Once output, and cleared of contact paper, I went over the design with sharpies, and isopropyl alcohol.

This last shot shows it in action!

If I can speed up the process and simplify it (maybe only one color) perhaps I’ll offer up a personalized version on Etsy or something…

As ever, feedback is appreciated.

41 Likes

Looks great! Especially with the Legos on it. (Makes me want some again.) :smile:

3 Likes

What’s it made of?

1 Like

Fantastic! My family needs one of these for sure.

2 Likes

Just Proofgrade Medium White Acrylic

2 Likes

You want feedback? You got it. That is a very cool measuring tool indeed. So after engrave fill in score lines with coloured Sharpies & wipe? The result is very sharp and clear.

6 Likes

I’m still buying LEGO for myself.

9 Likes

Me too…I’m just finally able to pretend it’s for my son…!

6 Likes

Awesome project! You did a great job on it. And I didn’t realize that the Sharpie color fill on acrylic would look just as good as it does on tile; thanks for that.

4 Likes

Legos and a laser. Great combo. Nice project.

3 Likes

I Love that! I’m not even into Legos, but I love it when people makes stuff so they are better at doing other stuff. Awesome.

5 Likes

They made angled LEGO when we were kids? I don’t remember that. I remember searching through my bucket to find the single peg LEGO, but no angled LEGO.

4 Likes

They did but they only came in the “fancy” kits that my parents were too cheap to buy for me!

I would drool over some of the parts you could get in kits that my friends had…

4 Likes

we were just in Florida a Week ago for my Cousin’s wedding. I brought back home all of my childhood lego. to go along with my girl’s current stash of lego. it is glorious. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got a small box of my childhood legos, and I kept them to create molds for casting that I did years ago. (They’re just a bunch of mismatched plain blocks with a base, but you can build any sized box to hold the silicone pour for your mold, and they are infinitely reusable. Pretty fantastic little blocks.) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Lego is far and away my favorite toy. Led me to being an Engineer I’m sure.

4 Likes

I was slighty traumatized by something my younger brother did to one of my Lego creations. (well, not really, but I AM still irked by it.)

Late 70s / early 80s, when the orignal Battlestar Galactica was on TV, I designed and made a Battlestar replica. Core / base of the ship was 2 of the large green plates long, with the landing pods to the side, and end and front entended beyond the edges of the green plates.

I spent probably 4-6 hours building this creation, and my younger brother, who was probably 6 or 8 at the time, took it to the landing half way to the basement and “Let it fly.” Unfortunately, he did not understand gravity, or have a way to counteract it - though he did understand and applied thrust.

The result was something the Cylons never could accomplish on the show - sheer, utter, and complete destruction of the Galactica.

Needless to say, I was a bit miffed (slight understatement) - and as a result, punched him in the arm.

I was the one who got grounded for a week, and he got no punishment at all. /*** end rant ***/

He still teases me about it today.

12 Likes

Brilliant! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Same here apparently. But now I have another example for my “abused” childhood.

2 Likes

No LEGO’s growing up, but I can see how helpful this would be.

3 Likes