PG Medium Clear Acrylic Stamp for Leather Embossing?

Has anyone made an embossing stamp using the GF PG Medium Clear Acrylic for leather? I’ve seen lots with the thick acrylic but not the medium and wondered if it would work.

I did a test overnight with the PG Medium Cleary Acrylic and clamped a teeny tiny stamp, as you’ll see in the photos, that ended up breaking from the vice clamp, but it actually left a pretty good impression otherwise. You can’t make out the monogram other than the “G” because the letters are so minuscule.

I started by using the new UI stamp maker pre-programmed settings but changed the setting from dots to varying speed as well as the LPI setting and cannot remember now what I set it at. I may have run two passes on it too, I just don’t remember now. (Life would be much easier if I wrote down the steps I took when playing around with settings - I am going to do better and start keeping track, I promise. LOL!)

Obviously, the first stamp is too thin and needs to be enlarged, and the second stamp is nowhere near usable for embossing leather. I just went with the pre-programmed stamp settings on the second stamp.

Here are a few pics of the two stamps and the results of the leather test using the first stamp. The leather was wet before pressing it in a Kreg vice grip. I need a better vice method that will place equal pressure across the entire stamp.

If anyone has insight on settings for the medium acrylic for leather embossing and/or improvement tips, I’d love hearing from you! :slightly_smiling_face:

First stamp:

Results of wet leather test pressed overnight in Kreg vice grips w/first stamp:

Second stamp using GF UI “Stamp Maker” settings (not usable for leather embossing):

10 Likes

I’ve done it several times. Here’s one of them:

Thanks so much @geek2nurse !!! That turned out awesome!! Do you have the settings you used to make the stamp, if you’re willing to share them. If not, I understand. :wink:

I’m pretty sure I just used the PG engrave settings, but I don’t really remember now!

Best advice is to try it and see; if you want it deeper just do multiple passes. :slight_smile: The new stamp feature might be nice for this, if you have Premium!

1 Like

I like your design. I’ve also been playing around with making a stamp for leather. And, as @geek2nurse mentioned, I think I just used the PG engrave settings, but did end up running at least 2 passes…maybe 3. I can’t remember now. You can see here in my screenshot that the settings I ended up saving were 340/70, but I don’t remember the LPI. And, in case you didn’t already know this, when you do figure out what settings work best for you, you can save them and name them so you won’t have to wonder what to do the next time.

When you’re ready to save, just hit the plus button up at the top.

Since I’ve included settings, I’m going to move this thread over to Beyond the Manual…which is where we’re requested to post things like this.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.45.21 PM

Thanks! I do have the Premium, and the second stamp that barely scratched the surface off was printed using the pre-programmed Stamp Maker settings.

I’ll see what I can come up with. :slight_smile:

Oh, thank you!! I appreciate all of the advice! :grinning: I know @geek2nurse used her CuttleBug, but I don’t have one of those. Do you have any ideas of how to get the stamp clamped down evenly so it applies the same amount of pressure across the entire stamp?

I did a keychain for my dad – used a scrap piece of 1/4" acrylic for that one, which was too thick for the Cuttlebug, so I clamped it between two tiles overnight.

2 Likes

I can’t tell if the issue with the one you made using the stamp setting won’t work because it’s not deep enough, or something else. The thing with leather is that you’re pushing material away or sucking it up - as opposed to laying down a layer of ink, so tiny tiny lines are never going to show - but I don’t see why the remainder of that stamp wouldn’t work.

I used medium material with the 3D settings (long before the stamp settings existed :stuck_out_tongue: ) - and then I sandwiched the actual stamp between extra wood for the clamping - so it didn’t matter that the material itself was quite thin.

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a great impression! Thanks for the advice! Using the pieces of wood or the tiles that @geek2nurse mentioned are great items to use…and have both lying around here! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s a really crisp impression. How long did you have it clamped?

Overnight - the leather was damp when I clamped it; these photos were taken after they dried.

2 Likes

Thanks. I haven’t made a stamp for leather yet but it is patiently waiting on my list.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.