Leather stamp from acrylic

I’m making a leather mask for my Hubs, and he wanted his old USAF command logo on the piece that goes across the mouth. I tried making it from Delrin, because I had seen a really nice-looking stamp on the forum made from it, but when I tried to cut my rather thick (1/2") piece, all I got was scary flame and lots of melty mess. So I went with PG medium acrylic instead, reverse-engraved the logo, and used my Cricut Cuttlebug to do the embossing. It worked out great!!! The circle is 1.75" in diameter – I honestly didn’t expect to get such good detail at that size.

39 Likes

Ahhh, so that’s what you were trying to engrave into the top of the Glowforge head earlier :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s ingenious! It never would have occurred to me to use the cuttlebug and acrylic in this way. Beautiful work.

2 Likes

This looks fantastic! I’ve also been admiring stamping leather but haven’t tried it yet. I also still have a piece of Delrin that I probably got from Johnson Plastics when I first got my machine. I should check mine out to see how thick it is. Problem for me will be how to put enough pressure on it to make it work…I don’t have any embossing equipment.

3 Likes

Nice! Did you wet the leather or run it through the Cuttlebug dry?

3 Likes

I wet it.

1 Like

Nicely done. Glad you are back in business.

2 Likes

Only sporadically. Takes a couple of hours usually to get the GF to stay online long enough to start a print. :frowning:

Very nice!

2 Likes

Can we see this ‘mask’ on? I really want to make a cool one. My woodworking “RZ” mask is REALLY too hot for the grocery runs.

I haven’t finished it yet, but I promise to post it as soon as I do! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! I never thought to use my die cutting machine for this for some reason. These machines are turning out to be a very useful accessory for our Glowforges. It works great for letterpress.

2 Likes

Hmmmm…

I’m wondering if the 'forge can be used to make a holder for the stamp and leather and use a f-style clamp you can buy at the hardware store for pressure. I’m just kinda thinking aloud in writing…

3 Likes

Might be worth experimenting with, for sure…nothing to lose!

1 Like

I’m waiting on buckles, so this is as far as I can go with the mask for now.

10 Likes

Wow! That is badass looking…complete with nuts and bolts!

2 Likes

That stamp looks amazing!
And whoa, pretty intense-looking.

I think for Halloween you should add a few accents and a strap to go over the top of his head and he could be Bane! :smiley:

1 Like

Haha! We already have one of those in the family – This is my older son’s employee photo from SmugMug. (His is painted on, though.)

Image from iOS (1)

2 Likes

Has Yul Brynner eyes…

2 Likes

LOL Awesome!