Photo frame from lots of little pieces

A little something I made this week. 5X7 photo frame made out of pieces of 5mm thick. colored MDF. The scorching comes from cutting the pieces with the Glowforge. I partially sanded them so I could see what color the pieces were when assembling them, with a plan to sand the fully when I was done, but I really like the look. Still some work to do. I need to rabbet out a spot for some glass on the back. First time I’ve made something like this. I’m really happy with how it turned out.

A few left over pieces

Jigs I made on the GF to help me assemble all the pieces. Used acrylic so the wood glue wouldn’t stick to it.

35 Likes

Wow, very impressive.

2 Likes

You could make the corners a proper right angle piece as well, which would help keep everything square. I like this.

4 Likes

The frame is the art. Nice.

4 Likes

You have more patience than I.

4 Likes

This is really similar to something one of my favorite YT makers does with “scrap wood” - he even has a t-shirt and campaign around using scraps. Here’s one example. The first 8 seconds are cute even if you’re not interested in traditional woodworking…

8 Likes

Nice work on the frame and the jig is brilliant!

Holy crap that’s crazy!

5 Likes

I am so VERY glad I have a laser for precision cutting. That was freaking awesome.

4 Likes

I had originally planned on doing that, but it is tremendously fiddly. You have to account for the kerf when you’re cutting out all the pieces so you get the exact length on each piece and then make sure everything is perfectly positioned. I did try to get that to work, but after spending too much time trying to get everything to align, I just chopped the corners and made my life simpler. :wink:

This is also a prototype for a much larger frame I plan to make for a print I bought. I want to make one of these to fit this 16X24in print: https://www.etsy.com/listing/548126278/beer-neon-midcentury-liquor-store-neon

2 Likes

I enjoy Pask Makes as well. One of the YouTubers I normally watch.

1 Like

OK, that makes sense.

1 Like

A very nice piece :heart_eyes:

Why not have more acrylic underneath to have the rabbet there to start with?

If you did the corner pieces first then there is only adjusting for length and some sort of power sander can make stuff shorter in the fly without much effort. The laser does not have to do everything :grin:.

2 Likes

That looks fantastic and like a LOT of work!

2 Likes

very cool !

2 Likes