Photo Frame Holder

Continuing the discussion from Inkscape Tutorial: text to outlines:

@marmak3261 posted a nice tutorial on making text inset picture frames. Providing THAT file would be pretty useless, unless some other wedding tomorrow will also be between a Becky and Larry… That would be odd.

Anyway, while making the frame, I also needed to figure out a way to hang it on a wall or place it on a table. I could easily run out to the hardware store and buy some of those sawtooth things to screw on the back for hanging. But I have a laser cutter and don’t want to drive to the store…

So, I belted out a quick frame holder. Sadly I forgot to record what I was doing, I did learn quite a bit along the way. If I have time at a future day I will see about redoing the design and including a tutorial for it.

Since clear acrylic is a bit hard to see, here it is in use:

And the file to cut your own (if you happen to have a frame laying around in roughly the same thickness as the totally non-industry standard one I just made…

40 Likes

I could totally use some of these. I used to do a lot of art shows, and I needed a bunch of these to show artwork. I never thought to make my own.

I could also use brochure holders and business card holders with a similar style. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I would look to add another cross-bar for brochure of business card holder. This stand is a little unstable without the heavy frame inserted. So with lightweight paper, and people constantly jostling it… probably not the best option.

Plus there are freaking awesome alternatives:

This one is built as a phone holder, but would work for business cards just as well. And should be able to be cut in the size of a business card even.

35 Likes

Awww, it’s so cute. Someday it hopes to grow up into a picture frame holder too.

8 Likes

Nice work. The stand will make the difference for getting that picture in the frame and out for display right away!

3 Likes

Practical and elegant! Thanks for sharing this!

1 Like

Couldn’t you make a version of this (with the living hinge) where the “frame” around the popout is glued to the back of your picture frame. Like a lot of current frames where the stand folds out of the back of to make the frame itself the “easel”. While I wouldn’t want a living hinge to be flexed back and forth and back and forth, it wouldn’t be bad to make the frame self-standing without any support showing in the front.:thinking:

4 Likes

It should work. The main down side I see on that would be the large table footprint for the photo at that point.

The base I made in acrylic is already taking up a significant amount of table space for a single photo. But I had to go larger for stability. It is only about 2/3 the size of the full frame. And doing the credit card size thing on a frame would mean the base is larger than the frame itself.

4 Likes

I love both designs. I will be making some of these for sure. We have a bunch of tiles with sayings on them above our cabinets that are just leaning against the wall. these look like they would be perfect to hold them. I am going to be burning through so many sheets of acrylic and plywood when the Glowforge arrives. :grin:

4 Likes

I was referring to the idea - not necessarily the size (an for any size frame). That is using the idea to make the stand built into the frame (like many frames have now). I understand about your acrylic base - which the idea is also good for displaying plaques or plates, etc. ! Happy Fall everyone!

2 Likes

I made one of those to hold my iPad.

How do you cut the inside of the “Becky & Larry” part???

They link to the tutorial at the very top of their post :slight_smile:

Nice design. Simple yet elegant