Photoshop to Illustrator / Quick Outlines and Vectors of Photoshop Paths

Instigator!

1 Like

Every time I show up, we seem to go down this rabbit hole of the “secret menu” tools that so many people don’t know about.

1 Like

Blow their mind and do something with an alt-Key + tool lol.

These programs are so huge, with so many features, I don’t know that anyone truly utilizes them (or knows them) to their full capabilities through and through.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve been duplicating my layers in Photoshop and filling in one of the images to have a solid image in Illustrator. I like the method I’ve been using if I’m planning to expand whatever I’m working on, as it does sometimes shift some lines around a smidge, but what you’ve explained here is awesome!

I’ll have to run some tests on what’s more convenient overall for my process, but a creator can never have too many tools at their disposal, thank you!

2 Likes

This is EXACTLY the tutorial I need this moment. THANK YOU! so very much for taking the time to create this. This is exactly what sets GF above ANY other frickin laser out there. The Community.

2 Likes

@jbmanning5, this tutorial just inspired me to make a quick video tutorial showing the way that I often do this (but just in AI).

6 Likes

Wow saved me using that dang pen tool!! Thank yous!!!

1 Like

Holy carp this is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. I have a different version of photoshop but it worked all the same! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 Like

Now if I can find a similar route in Corel Paintshop/CorelDraw, or Gimp and Inkscape…:upside_down_face:

Well, not as clean as this one, but I posted this a few days back that sort of fits the bill.

Hi July,
Not quite the same problem, though I’ve bookmarked it for other uses.
I’m looking for a short cut that is a bit like ‘trace’ software, but avoids the immense number of nodes that they give. A sort of compromise, like when you were plotting a graph at school, you could draw a line through all the data points that you had plotted, that was an approximation of the values.
I have just been given a lnk to some online software that I’ll look at tonight, and if it’s good, I’ll come back to the forum for other peoples comments.
John

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oh…Check for a Simplify function. :slightly_smiling_face:

I need one of those myself !

1 Like

Don’t we all! :smile:

My latest headache -my green card application requires a police report from any country I’ve lived in for more than one year, since I was 16.
55 years go, I lived in Malaysia, while serving with the British Army, for four years.
The Malaysian Government need a copy of my passport showing the visa stamp when I visited !
Er, that was about five passports ago !
Going round in circles.

1 Like

Are you kidding? That’s ridiculous. Who keeps old passports?

Bureaucrats ?

Jeesh! Probably. :roll_eyes:

Just to get back on topic, sort of, the two programs I will look at later are

1. autotracer.org
  2. Vectormagic.com

If anyone has tried either of these, I’d love to hear your reviews.
John

2 Likes

been using photoshop for decades and never new about this.
THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING :star_struck:

Just tested it by making a lasso selection in CS5 and it works perfectly. I already knew I could paste a path from PS into AI, but I didn’t know about making a path from a selection. That’s AMAZING

1 Like