Photoshop to Illustrator / Quick Outlines and Vectors of Photoshop Paths

Oh…Check for a Simplify function. :slightly_smiling_face:

I need one of those myself !
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Don’t we all! :smile:

My latest headache -my green card application requires a police report from any country I’ve lived in for more than one year, since I was 16.
55 years go, I lived in Malaysia, while serving with the British Army, for four years.
The Malaysian Government need a copy of my passport showing the visa stamp when I visited !
Er, that was about five passports ago !
Going round in circles.
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Are you kidding? That’s ridiculous. Who keeps old passports?

Bureaucrats ?

Jeesh! Probably. :roll_eyes:

Just to get back on topic, sort of, the two programs I will look at later are

1. autotracer.org
  2. Vectormagic.com

If anyone has tried either of these, I’d love to hear your reviews.
John

2 Likes

been using photoshop for decades and never new about this.
THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING :star_struck:

Just tested it by making a lasso selection in CS5 and it works perfectly. I already knew I could paste a path from PS into AI, but I didn’t know about making a path from a selection. That’s AMAZING

1 Like

LOVE this tip. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Copy (Command-C) from Photoshop, paste (Command-V) into Illustrator works for me. It’s a major part of my workflow. I’m using CS6 versions of both.

1 Like

I’ll have to give it another try. That would surely simplify the process, it’s just never worked for me for some reason. As integrated as CC apps are though, it would make sense!

In Photoshop I select my shape (for my stuff, the Magic Wand works fine). With the shape selected, I Make Workpath. Then I save that path. (Not sure if that’s necessary.) Then I select the path with the Path Selection tool (this step is necessary!) and copy it with Command-C.
With a new file open in Illustrator, I paste the path (Command-V). Stroke it with my color of choice.
Repeat as needed. Save as an svg. It always works for me.

2 Likes

i never made that work before, either. but your steps worked for me just fine just now (cc2020). i didn’t need to save the path, just used the workpath.

1 Like

the sad thing is i really could have used this last week. trying to recolor graphics to brand colors in a book some staff did on their own. crazy people did 80% of their graphics, even stuff that had to have started vector at some point, in photoshop. i had pie charts that only existed as PNG files. there were no real source graphics. so i had to recolor everything in PS and there were times i could have taken paths from PS to deal with them elsewhere, but i couldn’t figure out how to copy that path.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!