Picking the right Laser for the User

I think you can safely add integrated closed loop cooling to that list too. buckets, pumps, and bubbles sound like a nightmare to me.

4 Likes

A clear case of counting chickens before they hatch.

7 Likes

Bingo

I have no expectations of making profit on the gf at least in the short term or even maybe in the long still not making profit

2 Likes

FWIW, I loved the game with gorillas throwing bananas at each other, and it would be awesome if that game (not aspects of it, just that gameā€¦) was part of my workflow!

5 Likes

I ordered my Glowforge Pro partly for hobby but mostly for business. Iā€™m planning to wait it out because of many of the reasons @erin said and because comparable priced lasers donā€™t appear to be reliable enough for consistent business use and reliable lasers are beyond what I can justify spending based on return on investment calculations.

But I do understand the ā€œIā€™m loosing moneyā€ issue. I didnā€™t build a business plan around having a Glowforge by a specific date so that part doesnā€™t affect me. But there are two cases where the delay is costing me money. First, there is a risk that other companies in the area will get laser engravers before my Glowforge arrives and take away customers I would likely get if it arrived today. Second, I could have invested that money in some other technology (like a dye sublimation printer) last fall which would definitely be bringing in money by now.

To me, the potential long term gain of waiting for my Glowforge Pro currently outweighs those short term ā€œlosesā€.

6 Likes

Nuh-uh! That is carefully considered planning, after having thought about the ins, outs, and potential gains/losses.
(Not the same thing.):wink:

The ones who seem to be taking the delays the worst are those who had sky-high dreams about making a fortune selling widgets, and they havenā€™t done any research first.

Those tend to hit me the hardest, because it is heartbreakingly apparent that whatever they are teaching in schools these days, ā€œHow to Survive in the Business Worldā€ is not one of them. :disappointed_relieved:

7 Likes

I couldnā€™t understand those complaints either. Not just pie-in-the-sky dreams of how rich they will be when laser-cut goodies start rolling off the assembly line, but a vast misunderstanding of the venture they were putting their money into (i.e. a crowd-funded, technologically advanced machine).

3 Likes

Generally our work areas /studios are organized / optimized for workflow without much regard for aesthetics - but the Glowforge will look out of place amongst the 2x4 and steel workbenches sitting on OSB floor with exposed floor joists that are the ceiling.
That sleek and stylish 'forge will be a bright blossom shinning in the field of weedsā€¦ I almost feel guilty sticking it in there instead of featuring it displayed on a console table in the living room. :no_mouth:

I came into this program completely ignorant of lasers. Over the year here I have learned so much from the community that I wouldnā€™t be intimidated by having to contend with the quirks of a rudimentary Chinese offering, but the reasons I became involved initially are the reasons I am still here ā€¦

• Value for the investment.
    The preorder price was killer. (Thank you founders!) Itā€™s going to be a while before anything of this capability will be available for this $.
    The enthusiastic response to the program (as well as the sour grapes/disbelief from social media) reflect the impact of this design.

Ā· The innovations of it attracted me because it made it so much easier for people like me lacking previous experience to participate, and I look forward to exploring the versatility offered by the cameras and software!
Look at what Jobs/Apple did with existing technology. Consolidating separate functions into a new package. That is analogous to what the Glowforge founders have done.

ā€œAn innovatorā€™s essential contribution is to realize the full potential of the knownā€.

There is another reason that I only became aware of across my time here - the education I mentioned, from the presence and input from Dan to the kind quidence and advice from the community here. (especially the forum Rock Stars - we know who you are!) Thank you!
Even as such a diverse group, our hopes and aspirations align around our vision for this tool.
I am honored to share this journey with you all. :sunglasses:

13 Likes

I run my 3D printing business on 3D Hubs. I wasnā€™t the first to come and I wasnā€™t the best at first. What I did was to develop the best service I can through having printers that are reliable and consistent and through knowing my product. Then I did a price survey and undercut my competition to get started. This got my foot in the door. A year later I am now the highest rated provider with the most number of completed orders in a 300 mile radius. This is how even a late comer to the service can come out on top. The GlowForge means ease of use, it means functions that other lasers may not have. It means reliability and support when you do run into trouble. That translates into performance and service that you can pass along to your customers and it means you can survive on a lower profit margin to get started. Then you have your reputation to assist and you can raise prices or not as you prefer.
My goal is to eventually be able to provide 3D printing services for free to anyone. That means finding other income to support the cost of maintenance and supplies. Maybe the GlowForge will help with that funding need. If not, I will continue to try to be the best possible provider I can until I can make it free.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s basically why Iā€™m still in. I can do all the GF can do and more with the lasers I have (with the exception of 3D engraving). Itā€™s the local (US) support and smoothness of the processing workflow that are key.

4 Likes

Having used Chinese lasers, the promise of the ease of use is certainly the #1 reason I am still waiting patiently for mine. The devil of usability is always in the details, and it remains to be seen how well it will work, but the possibilities are quite exciting.

6 Likes

We got our Epilog M2 today at work. It was $62,000.00 but it is beautiful.

15 Likes

Just a tad outside my budget darn

6 Likes

It is sweet.
60 Watt CO2 and a 30 Watt Fiber. We have a Rofin 20 Watt YAG rod laser that we are replacing.
The Epilog has Servo motors, a Metal/Ceramic air cooled laser tube, an on board camera for registration and alignment and a 13.5" Z adjustment.

https://www.epiloglaser.com/products/fusion-laser/fusion-eview-camera.htm

Having said all of that. The $2,100.00 for a basic seems like a steal. The Epilog is an Industrial behemoth compared to a home unit.

5 Likes

Ouch - unless it comes with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathsā€¦ 62K ! :open_mouth: Iā€™ll wait for Glowforge (unless those winning lottery numbers come to meā€¦)[quote=ā€œjleeusn, post:92, topic:2666ā€]
t was $62,000.00 but it is beautiful.
[/quote]

5 Likes

gesh where do you live to get a 3bed 2bath for 62k, that wouldnā€™t by anything here in western mass

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I live in Oklahoma where houses can be pretty cheepā€¦that would buy you an old run down house in a seedy part of town, maybeā€¦lol

1 Like

In Seattle that might buy some landā€¦ in a seedy part of town. :wink:

1 Like

in SF that could rent you an ok apartment in the tenderloin for a little over two years.

1 Like

had to shop around butā€¦

ā€¦and they threw in a corvette!!

12 Likes