Piecing together marquetry larger than 20"

I am working on some marquety that will go on a panel door.
The design is roughly 12" tall and the panel is about 26".
What I need to do is cut the design into 2 pieces of veneer, which will come together on the final glue up.

I have in mind to cut the background at a stragetic point in the design and do that shape on 2 pieces of veneer that are shorter than 20". Then, I can put together the 2 pieces of background on the design, having left an overlap which I will cut on a line.

What I’m not sure about is whether I can cut the outline of my design on a piece of veneer where some of the design will not be over the veneer. I want to cut out only a small amount of the background so the grain lines up (or mostly lines up). It’s easy if I can run the laser over nothing for a bit. But, if I must, I could put a sacrificial piece of veneer under the blank space.

What say you experts out there in Glowforgeland?

If I’m understanding you correctly, you’d like to laser a bit over some blank, no material, space, yes?

That’s safe to do, the GF is designed for that. If you’re concerned and/or want to avoid flashback on your veneer you can also put the good veneer material on top of a sacrificial sheet of whatever (draftboard, plywood, etc).

1 Like

I think I would split the design in my software and not spend any tube time cutting something that isn’t there.
There is probably something in your workflow that eludes me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ok, thanks. I’ll just put the pattern over the edge of the veneer.

Alignment is hard with 2 separate pieces cut on the laser out of the same shape. When you cut veneer for marquetry with a scroll saw or by hand, you set 2 layers of wood on top of each other and you cut thru both on a line. At a slight angle, so you get the cork and bottle effect. With the laser, you are cutting thru 1 sheet. So, what I will do is cut the same shape partially thru each separate piece and align on the shape. With blue tape to hold in place. Then I can make a straight cut thru 2 layers. Not an at angle, not with a straight cut.

Pretty confident this will work. I’ll know better tomorrow when I try it out!

1 Like

Because the beam has a waist and converges to the focal point and then diverges, you can invert a piece of the design so the adjoining faces match the angle of the adjacent face, if that makes sense.

I understand a double cut for fit, we did that in carpet laying. I have wanted to explore Marquetry, since I have a tool that can be graduated by thousandths. :sunglasses: That, and I have a stack of veneer begging for an application.

1 Like