Pikachu Meme Tiles- because you can never see enough Ceramic tiles on here!

If you’re anything like me, you love a good meme. When I look at the Pika meme I cannot help but laugh. It’s one of those memes that never gets old for me and always puts a smile on my face. When I got my Glowforge Laser Cutter, I knew making tile coasters was a fun quick project. So today I am going to show you how to put your favorite image on a tile in way under an hour.

This project specifically took me about 15 minutes but that is because I had the file ready from a previous project (file is included in this build).

If you were going to use your own file, do it to the necessary requirements of your laser cutter. In my case, I used Inkscape to convert a doodle I made on my iPad where I traced the Pika Meme into a bitmap and saved it as an .SVG file. It’s that simple with a glowforge.

Step 1: Gather Your Supplies

This project is simple, quick, and something anyone with access to a laser engraver can create. I know here in Milwaukee there are maker spaces and schools that have Laser cutters available for use. If you don’t own one, look to your neighborhood for the tools. They are more available than you would expect!

Tools needed for this project are simple:

Step 2: Put Your File Into the Laser’s Software

1. Import your file into the software . I have included an .SVG file created for this project.
  2. Put the proper power level settings into the system and set your focus height. Check out the Beyond the manual section for settings if you need them for tiles. Or feel free to go to the Instructables build linked in here for the setting is used. The Ceramic Tiles I use were purchased from the local hardware store for .25 cents a piece.
  3. I set the laser to only engrave the image of Pikachu and I have it ignore the box around him. That box is only to be used as a guiding box to make sure he is situated where you want him on the tile. In my case, I wanted him in the bottom right corner like in the meme.
  4. Hit the go button. This engrave takes around 5 minutes .

Step 3: Draw, Wipe, and Stick

After taking the tile out of your laser cutter, prepare the tile for the sharpie. A quick wipe with a damp paper towel will wash away all the laser engraving residue.

1. After cleaning, start tracing the engraving in the sharpie . Don’t worry about getting marker on the tile itself, just make sure you completely coat the design
  2. Once the entire design is drawn on with sharpie, grab a dry paper towel and start scrubbing the tile . The friction alone from rubbing the tile will remove all the excess color on the tile itself while retaining the color in the engraving.
  • If you have particularly stubborn sharpie spots you can use a bit of alcohol but try to use a q-tip for application and removal as you can create a messy situation if not careful. I try to only use the wipe method as it retains the most color and is effective if given enough time.
  1. After the design is cleaned off:
  • Flip the tile over and wipe off the bottom with a dry towel, making sure the surface is free of workbench dust
  • Remove the adhesive back from your cork piece
  • Adhere the cork to the tile with some pressure.

Step 4: Enjoy Your Coaster

After the cork is on, you’re ready to enjoy your new coaster! Give this a try with any image! It’s really fun to personalize tiles and make them for people as gifts. Unlock your creative side with this fun, fast, and simple project!

For more of our builds, head over to www.whengeekscraft.com
Check out our instagram: www.instagram.com/whengeekscraft

26 Likes

You could engrave a whole mountain village and call it Macho Pikachu ? :crazy_face:

13 Likes

Hahahahhahahahaha get in that … Stat!

1 Like

A grayscale start. not enough detail to pick up buildings :disappointed:

2 Likes

The white space in the design seems like a place you could write in a word balloon with a dry erase marker for up-to-the-moment memeage. :grinning:

4 Likes

At the risk of seeming a zubat:

Glowforge requires us to confine discussion of manual settings in their forums to the Beyond the Manual category. The current preferred practice is to either move the entire thread to Beyond the Manual or, to start a new thread there and, link to it from this one.

5 Likes

Had to look that up… :rofl:

5 Likes

I’ll just delete the setting.

1 Like

I left all the whitespace specifically for that. my husband had one at work that he rewrites quite regularly. Feel free to us the SVG file to your liking and add a bubble! :slight_smile:

1 Like

enhance the image! hahahahahhahaa

1 Like

That is the best I can manage. The center is the shape of the landscape around Machu Picchu.

1 Like

HAH! Haven’t seen that mug in a while :rofl:

1 Like

Troy and abed in the morning forever.

3 Likes

You’ll be streets ahead in no time.
I’m still boggled that of thousands of ridiculous things we churned out, that’s the thing NBC marketing decided to reproduce. It’s nice to see that six seasons and no movie are not forgotten. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donde está la biblioteca?
Me llamo T-Bone, la araña discoteca

1 Like
2 Likes

This is super cute!
Do you have any trouble with the sharpie washing off it it gets wet?

1 Like

NOPE ! I spray them with a sealer when im done :slight_smile:

@Whengeekscraft What sealer are you using? I’ve tried spray lacquer, but even with light coats the sharpie coloring runs.

1 Like

I use this stuff. And I do very light coats at a time.

1 Like