Pinning Pieces Together

Recently I wanted to accurately layer pieces of 3mm stock together. I’ve often used 3mm dowels that go through both pieces for this purpose, but this time I decided to use short lengths of brass rod since I happened to have some lying around. The idea was to give the piece a nice contrast between the brass and the wood. The effect was very nice, but I quickly got tired of cutting brass rod making the ends look nice.

Suddenly it occurred to me where I could get accurately made brass pins pretty cheaply: the “driver pins” from pin tumbler locks. A quick search turned up multiple sources that sell just what I was looking for. I settled on one I’d dealt with before that would send me 450 brass pins that are 2.91mm in diameter and 5.81mm long for just over $10. Being lock parts, they’re very uniform and even have chamfered ends.

Here’s a little box I made using the technique, just for fun:

I hope you find the technique useful.

40 Likes

Lovely box!!

5 Likes

What a great idea, another thing to add to my “try this” list. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Fantastic idea. It looks great!

4 Likes

What a great idea! Thanks!

4 Likes

Hey that’s slick. I usually use 1/16” brass rods and cut them to length/sand flush but these are a cool option.

7 Likes

that is really slick. they are even available in colors too.

3 Likes

What a great idea! This is worthy of a bookmark. :smiley:

2 Likes

These look like a nice option. I have a tray with hundreds (lock picking/rekeying adventures!)

I use small “picture hanging” nails if I want an exposed flat head, or “head pins” which have a spherical head if that’s the look I am going for.

I trim them to desired length with side-cutters, and generally use the smallest amount of CA on the pin itself to secure them in-place.

4 Likes

Nice tip!

2 Likes

I love pinning cuts together for accuracy, but I have always used wood. I love the idea of using brass pins, as long as they are the desired length.

I bet that looks really amazing. I don’t think the picture does it justice!

3 Likes

I would love to try this! Where can you get these pins?

3 Likes

I’d also like to know where I can buy these, please. I love this elegant and simple idea.

2 Likes

Those would be great for hinges too! 3 pieces of 3mm material with one cut through and the others engraved half through. I have been using bamboo skewers cut to length but accurate precut to fit the need is better. I am wondering if they could be made in steel to match to magnets.

3 Likes

Not what I was looking for but…
Tiny hinges

Ah, yes, I’m similarly equipped. That’s pretty much why they popped to mind. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I did a pretty thorough search last night and wasn’t really sure what I was looking at. Do you by chance have a link to where you bought these?

1 Like

I got mine from Southord, but they’re available from many locksmith/lock-picking sites. They come in different lengths. The ones I chose are 0.230 inches long, just shy of 6mm because I’m using them to pin two pieces of 3mm BB together.

3 Likes

Yes, they work well for hinge pins. I use them in hinges that are variations on this:

Hinges

I generally make them from 3mm BB plywood. Each pair takes one pin. Adding pairs adds strength to the hinge.

3 Likes

Yes that is what I have done for most though I use odd numbers and put most of the hinge inside like so.

3 Likes