Pipe Stand for Dragon Pipe

Continuing on with my success making cool stands for cool pipes I turned my attention to this Dragon Pipe we’ve had for decades. It’s gorgeous on its own, but now it has a home.

The junk(船, chuán) ship is scored and painted plywood. The risers and flames are clear and yellow acrylic, painted with alcohol inks.

I love how the acrylic reflects on the wall…it wouldn’t if it were actual flame, but still :stuck_out_tongue:

The acrylic is set into holes in the boat deck - with pieces of red felt padding the sides so they are tight, but removable if necessary.

You can’t really see them, but there are acrylic stops under each of the three feet on the ground - so that when it is removed, it can be put back to line up with the flames.

39 Likes

Beautiful pipe. Beautifully displayed! Nice job.

12 Likes

Now that’s fire!

9 Likes

Gorgeous is right! Wonderful job

8 Likes

That is some beautiful glassworking. At first, I thought the fire was in the glasswork, To see that it is your addition is amazing!

11 Likes

Definitely harder work on the part of the glassmaker! Tried it as a pipe once, and eh, but as art it holds a place of honour on our mantel.

I do adore this machine :heavy_heart_exclamation:

9 Likes

Beautiful job!

7 Likes

What a stunning ensemble @deirdrebeth!
I couldn’t undertand what was going on, if the fire was part of the glass piece and your contribution was only the junk ship, but your fire art blends so well it just added another dimension the the original glass pipe.
Congratulations!

8 Likes

The overhead shot does the best to separate my art from the glass art, but yeah, I’m happy with the blend :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Awesome job!

7 Likes

What an amazing display of your pipe. Stunning work!!

7 Likes

Wow, wow, wow! That looks fantastic! Absolutely beautiful!

4 Likes

Love this! I too was a little confused until I saw the overhead shot! The stand definitely elevates the pipe’s artistry.

3 Likes

What an epic piece! And your acrylic supports are virtually invisible, so the flame really looks like it’s coming from the dragon. Well done!

5 Likes

WOW! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Perfect stand. excellent!

4 Likes