Pirate Treasure Box

Made this for our grandson who just turned 4. He loves anything to do with pirates! Used proofgrade walnut.

Design from Thingiverse:

67 Likes

It looks fabulous! Iā€™ll bet he was thrilled. Wondering what treasures you stuffed it withā€¦

4 Likes

Chocolate coins, a treasure map, and a Golden Book ā€œHow to be a Pirateā€.

11 Likes

Very cool gift for him! Grandma Rocks! :skull_and_crossbones: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Very nice!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a good-sized chest. I Iike it!

3 Likes

Arrrgggh! Avast ye matey, thatā€™s a mighty fine looking stash oā€™ gold, ye carry. :wink:

4 Likes

Love this, looks amazing.

Did you have to adjust the file at all to make all those box joints fit nicely? (Iā€™m assuming you used the thick walnut and not the medium for this)

3 Likes

I didnā€™t do any adjustments. The joints werenā€™t tight at all ā€¦ glue was a must. Used wood glue, and sanded the joints on the thick walnut plywood to give a better adhesion. Cut off nails (just shy of sticking out) and used gel super glue on the hinges and front closure. The box is roughly 6 x 8 x 11.

6 Likes

I liked the look of this and wanted to make one, but I didnā€™t have any 1/4" laying around, so I adjusted the design down a little bit to be cut from medium proofgrade. It fits onto one sheet with a little extra space. I thought about filling up the space with fake coins, but settled for just making a little fake padlock.

I put in on Doohicky Land Thingy Verse as a remix of the one you linked.

13 Likes

Oh myā€¦perfect for the little guy! Iā€™ll bet he just loves it so muchā€¦and Iā€™m betting too that he has that throughout his life as a wonderful remembrance of you and your love. Itā€™s a real beauty!

3 Likes

Love your lock! I wanted the grain the other direction ā€¦ So, didnā€™t fit on one sheet. Also, hoped it would be more durable in the thick for his age.

2 Likes

Thank you @Xabbess ā€¦ Kind of felt it was a lifetime gift when making it. He holds my heart, we spend a lot of time together.

3 Likes

Just thought of thisā€¦a perfect box for storing some chocolate ā€˜goldā€™ coins! That would look so cool and be so much fun. Though, as heā€™s still so young, it would probably require some supervision so he didnā€™t eat too many at one time. I can picture thatā€¦:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

By supervision you mean bringing it out an hour or so before his parents come to pick him up?

4 Likes

:+1: :rofl: Yes. Thatā€™s one of the special rules that apply.

4 Likes

Heā€™s been all about pirates for at least two years ā€¦ so, YES! There were chocolate coins!

2 Likes