Pirates of the Caribbean German candle pyramid plans

After several hours of un-janky-fying this mess, here they are… my Pirate of the Caribbeans German candle pyramid plans. (Hope I did 'em right.)

Notes:

-The numbers on the parts are the order in which the go, from bottom to top.
-I used 3/16” plywood for all of the parts except the fan blades (which I used 1/8” mahogany) (as long as it’s a light weight wood, it shouldn’t matter that much). For the top of the compass I used the free sample of Walnut that came with the Glowforge (‘cause I’m a cheap so-and-so).

-For the rubber feet, I used ½” screw-on types. You can use stick-on, of course, but the screws help keep the base together. Here’s some samples RubberFeet.us - Quality Rubber Feet & Bumpers - Made in the USA | RubberFeet.us - Quality Rubber Feet & Bumpers

-The round bits between the railings are a ½” dowel cut to 1.75” in height. The tops are unfinished wood knobs I got at my local hobby store.
-I cobbled together the center rod/dowel, bearing cup and fan hub out of a bunch of stuff lying around. (For example, the fan hub was a Tinker Toy.) If you want the real deal, you can find those parts here (On pages 7, 12 & 16). Replacement Parts for German Pyramids, Smokers, and Nutcrackers - ChristKindl-Markt

Note: none of the rods there are tall enough for the PotC version as I designed it (18”). A possible solution would be to get a metal tube that the rod would slide into, then telescope them to the right height.

-Everything is pretty much sized right (the railings and holes are a bit of a tight fit, if I recall correctly). Please test everything first. The spin-y floor bit holes should be tested with your rod/dowel. (I fiddled with mine until they stayed on without any supports/gluing). The character feet tabs are definitely to small (I wrapped drafting tape around them to make a gasket).

-I used regular old Elmer’s Glue to stick it together.

-When you’re done, enjoy! (but please don’t burn your house down, always monitor the thing when it’s lit and spinning! I’ve had no problems yet but I’m no engineer (I’m the opposite: a professional cartoonist). Fairly warned, ye be, says I!!

PotC05 PotC06 PotC07 PotC08 PotC09 PotC01 PotC02 PotC03 PotC04

155 Likes

What a generous share! That’s really a beautiful candle spinner. :sunglasses::+1:

6 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

So generous of you to share! Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank You!

2 Likes

thank you

1 Like

Whoa! Very generous!

1 Like

Even if I never make one, I always learn so much from seeing how it’s done. Thanks for the peek behind the curtain!

3 Likes

This is amazing

1 Like

Thank you so much for your generosity! So much work in there.

1 Like

That’s incredibly generous. Thank you!

1 Like

It’s amazing…great share

1 Like

Thank you for the beautiful share.

1 Like

My mother-in-law is going to love this. I had to adjust some measurements based off the parts I used but it turned out great! Further, I finally found a purpose for the fidget spinners. I used the center bearing then got a wooden dowel to fit it. I think it was 3/8". I couldn’t find any tiny draw pulls so I left that out. The fan hub up top, I used the GF and created one that seems to have worked by layering the wood. I only tested it with tea candles so the fan didn’t spin but I know a good current from the ceiling fan does make it spin.

Thank you again!

12 Likes

Awesome. Been on that ride probably 100 times throughout the years.

$7.00 Pecan Pie - Jamaica
$13.25 Cherry - Aruba
$8.99 Pumpkin - Bahamas

Now you know the Pie Rates of the Caribbean.

13 Likes

Nice job, looks even better than mine since you used better quality wood than I did!

3 Likes

Home depot plywood. All twisted and bowed. Lol

Huh. There’s where I got the wood I used as well.

Here is what I used

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-5-32-in-x-1-ft-x-1-ft-7-in-PureBond-Maple-Plywood-Project-Panel-10-Pack-4940/312284408?cm_mmc=ecc--THD_READY_FOR_PICK_UP--V1_M1_CA-_-Product_URL&ecc_ord=W952855033

1 Like

I did not know they had that! (I’ve been getting the larger sheets and cutting them down.) $3 a pop is dang cheap but how twisted and bowed was it, like a gently rolling hill or a totally bitchin’ wave?