Pizza Dough Box (a Madia, I'm told)

My bride asked me to make her a madia – a wooden box in which one can mix, knead, and let rise pizza dough. For this project I used my Glowforge in two ways: to make cardboard prototypes to make sure sizes and angles would work, and to add artwork to the box lid. She sent me two YouTube videos showing how others had created their madias and I was able to draw up plans in SketchUp and cut cardboard pieces on the Glowforge to mock up the madia (cardboard is our friend). Since two of the box sides were longer than the forge was able to handle I changed the design so I’d cut two half-sides, and taped them together to make a complete side (see pics). When my bride gave it a test run pretending to make dough in the cardboard mockup we realized it was too tall – so I redesigned it to be shorter and made another cardboard mockup, which “passed muster.” Next I built the box using the cardboard mockup pieces for templates. To add some artwork to the lid I found a free clipart file and used Illustrator to trace the image. After cleaning it up I exported it into the GUI and cut it from some ⅛" Sapele ply which I then glued to the lid. The box is made from poplar.

65 Likes

Excellent result. I assume you will be enjoying home made pizza very soon.

10 Likes

That’s great, practical and creative at the same time. Nicely done. Beware, I see the contents of your “honey do” list rising :wink:

11 Likes

That turned out awesome!What a neat design. And, great job on the clipart!

9 Likes

Wow! Very nice work in that! Great project!

7 Likes

It’s a lovely box! I’ve never heard of a madia so I’ve learned something today. Making the cardboard mock-up was a great idea.

4 Likes

These looks soooo sharp! Do you oil the box so it is protected from the ingredients getting into the wood? Might want to consider it. Then a quick rinse and your done.

3 Likes

Thank you one and all for your kind comments. Today my bride gave the madia “a go” and tells me it worked “as advertised.” Later today I’ll fire up the pizza oven and we’ll have homemade pizza for dinner! What a way to finish out a great Fourth of July!

15 Likes

Mission accomplished! Oh, and what will we eat tomorrow on the 5th of July?
Independence Day-old pizza.

21 Likes

The best pizza comes from 3-day old dough! :smiley:

6 Likes

Gees…this is making me hungry. I think pizza is my all-time favorite food.

9 Likes

Wonderful, this must be one of the most satisfying things to make and use.

5 Likes

Hope you both get a lot of enjoyment out of this project!

This looks really yummy! I’ve made pizza on top of the grill a couple of times … but, love the look of your pizza oven!

3 Likes

That looks amazing! I’d be eating pizza every single day if I could make ones that looked like that!

4 Likes

Truly awesome!

3 Likes

You’re a keeper! What a great design. Hope you have lots of pizza now.

Dang it, I can smell the pizza cooking. Mmmmmmm

2 Likes

Here’s a video of someone making bread with a less-refined version. Start at about 6:39 for the usage. (Although the full video is pretty fun and has the recipe.)

Edit: added the link to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx6mPPR6CL0

2 Likes

Think there’s something missing, unless my phone browser is acting up again.

1 Like

Something I didn’t know I needed :eyes: Looks great, @CapnMike !

1 Like

thank you! I forgot the link; it’s now been added.

3 Likes