Planar butt jointing techniques

Smacks hand to forehead!!! Of course this is how you do it!!!

I’d been thinking of simple “jigsaw” style connections, but of course they should be artistic

I find it so hard to think artistic instead of engineer sometimes - thank you for the inspiration.

Would you be upset if I happened to write an inkscape extension that did versions of these? It is OK to say no - I will respect that.

9 Likes

If I weren’t such a hoarder of my precious yellowheart, I might have used it instead. The combo of wenge and yellowheart is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Those are simply gorgeous!!!

1 Like

If you hadn’t said the wood was 1/8" I would have guessed it was 1/4" thick. Where do you find all of these woods in an 1/8" thickness? My favorite is the maple and padauk. This is a great inspiration for me, thanks for sharing your pictures. :grinning:

1 Like

omg that swirl box.

i think there are a lot of places to get the 1/8" exotic woods. the real problem is finding many of them in widths wider than 3". there are places, but it’s far more common in the narrow widths than in 4-8" wide.

4 Likes

Green valley has maple, padauk and wenge. As for pricing, I think Ocooch edges them out on maple. I havent done a deep dive on Ocooch’s pricing on the other two.

Here’s a quick analysis on Wenge pricing between GV and Inventables:

Oof Ocooch is way worse on Wenge. like $13/sqft, about double what GV charges.

It all comes down to the species you want and who has it in stock. Caveat Emptor!

3 Likes

That swirl box is ridiculously cool. Love the contrasting colors you chose. Very inspirational.

2 Likes

Truly very nice work.

1 Like

The box leaves me speechless. Very well done. :sunglasses:

1 Like

O.M.G. that is absolutely farkin’ brilliant! Beautiful pieces! I cannot wait to try this technique! Those are some premium pieces to display at my local neighborhood ‘farmer’s market.’

My brain itchez in a most fantastic way right now! THANK YOU!

1 Like

I’m all over this! Excellent work and thanks for the technique and clues.

I need to think about why you mention flipping a piece over so they meet face to face…is there another way to illustrate what you are saying?

1 Like

The shape of the cut matters. Anytime you cut with the laser there is a slight slope to the sides of the cut. Flipping one piece over lets you meet them face-to-face so the sides align better. I call this process “flip-mating”.

I’m away from my computer, so I can’t really provide a visual aid, but think of it as like a keystone of an arch, you want the sides to align and mate properly. You can test this with any piece of scrap cuts that you have laying around. Lay the two pieces edge to edge with their faces up. You’ll see a gap between the two faces.

Now flip both of them over, so that you see the two backs… They will align with nearly no gap, but there will still be a gap between the two front faces (now facing down).

Now, flip one over and align them. There should be very little gap on either side. Making any sense?

8 Likes

So creative and beautiful. I hope it is a post that will launch a thousand projects!

4 Likes

That’s a great combo, I think. My eyes and brain blend the joint together really well.

3 Likes

Here’s a better explanation of cut shape (or cut profile) with illustrations by @jules. Hopefully it can show why flipping one piece helps to make the edges mate cleanly.

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful work, thanks so much for sharing! Very inspiring.

2 Likes

Not sure whether I’m more inspired or intimidated. That box is just stunning. I love the color combos!

2 Likes

Oh, man, it’s all beautiful, but “shockwave” takes my breath away! Amazing stuff. Keep blazing trails, I love learning from you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful.

As a woodturner, the wenge/maple hexagon gives me a ton of ideas for segmented bowls. Beautiful work.

1 Like