Planning shop location for the Glowforge

Hahahaha, a true Wisconsin problem, I assure you. A good smoked gouda can goo a loooong way.

4 Likes

Last year we found Yancy’s Fancy Bacon Chedder at Costco. Been waiting for it to show up again ever since.

My Glowforge will be placed in the room next to where we store our wheel of Vella Cheese Company Dry Monterey Jack Cheese from Sonoma.

Does this count as on-topic?

5 Likes

It’s pretty gouda, too. :innocent:

3 Likes

I’m getting excited now. It’s like getting ready to bring a child home…we had twins almost three years ago and it was easier getting ready for them than for this awesome machine. So I took some photos…

The moody one:

Something is missing here:

I’ve surrounded the area with art from friends and inspiration:

Panoramic shot. It’s still a bit of a work in progress:

15 Likes

Nice! Looks like your table has some storage area for the miscellaneous bits of partially used Proofgrade (because the first rule of Proofgrade is: we never waste Proofgrade).

5 Likes

:relaxed::+1:

6 Likes

Looks like the perfect spot for your Glowforge…and a great room, too. Plenty of space and extra flat work area. My flat work area has been diminished by 38x20", but it’s sure been worth it. :relaxed:

4 Likes

The second rule of Proofgrade is: YOU DO NOT WASTE PROOFGRADE!

5 Likes

Very nice. That stylish machine is going to fit right in there!
This thing is so pretty (after waiting 17 months it’s freakin’ beautiful) it doesn’t look like it belongs in my shop.

2 Likes

I actually am not sure where my Glowforge will reside yet… We are moving in June and we haven’t figured out how and where to set it up at yet…

The only thing about putting it in “living” space is the smell of burnt wood gives me a headache in a small area… We got the pro model with filter but not sure if we will need to vent to outside or not. Thoughts from anyone that already has a Glowforge?

1 Like

We’ve only had the opportunity to vent outside so far, so we’ve only got half of the equation.

Make sure you leave the lid closed until the fan spins down, it cuts down on the tiny wisp of smoke that can escape after a print. (About like blowing out a candle.)

It does smell of burnt wood though…that film gets on the masking. Remove that as soon as possible after the cut and get it into a Ziploc bag - the smell dissipates pretty quickly.

Maple has a stronger smell after a print than the Cherry, Walnut and Birch ply. (or maybe I’m just sensitive to it…I’m not much on maple syrup.)

6 Likes

Also make sure your vent hose connections are well sealed.

2 Likes

Jules that is good to know! I appreciate those tips.

I am hoping they have the Catan board designs in the download catalog (it looked they they were using multiple woods, or maybe it was stain colors). I haven’t done hardly any wood working, I have a couple of 3D printers so I deal in PLA and ABS.

The SoC board was designed by a 3rd party. @dan has stated that they hope to be able to offer it through the catalog. Guess we’ll find out in a month or two.

So I recently reported a bug, that often even with the new extended fan run at the end of the print, there are often puffs of smoke retained under the piece which come up. They cause a reasonable amount of smoke to come into the room when you lift the part even minutes later (I wished there was a feature to put the fan on 15% or whatever when the top opened for a few minutes just to suck this remainder smoke away)

Here is a video I sent support demonstrating the problem (you may need to view it in full screen to see well - and sorry about the dropped phone). You particularly see the puff on the second piece. I also reported the weird motion planning issue since that is one path…

10 Likes

@dan, @Tony, Hopper?

Great demonstration!
I agree it would be good if the fan ran even just a little bit after a print when the lid is open

1 Like

That tiny whiff of smoke gets trapped under the material and the air assist can’t reach it. Running the fan longer won’t help unless you move the material. (Making sure to keep the crumbs out of the tray and grid helps to keep those small.)

(And just so you know, so you can answer questions for new users…)

You commented on the path followed by the laser during the operation and wondered why it didn’t just follow along the entire outside of the cut…my guess is that you used a CAD program of some kind to create your file, and imported it as un-joined segments instead of a completely closed path. Joining those segments fixes that, and the laser will follow along the path without jumping around, but honestly it’s not worth the time spent doing it for complex CAD designs. The laser will pick up all the paths just fine, it’s just a bit dizzying to watch sometimes. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Maybe @dunfee’s idea of having the fan run a bit after the lid is opened would allow you to move items while it is running to have the whips sucked into the exhaust??