Playing with sandblasting

I’ve done a bunch of shotglasses for fund raisers, but ran into the 2" height limit for glasses larger. I found the article here where they lasered a stencil for a bottle, so I gave it a shot.
I lasered onto painters tape sheets bought on amazon. Amazon.com
I tried it two different ways
1.) Laser it off then peel the backing off.
2.) Reverse your image, peel the backing then laser it.
Both had plusses and minuses.

Anyway here was some of the work done so far.

![image|374x499]

(upload://8oiAIXs9HEyml6JOG6WBLhoaBCz.jpeg)

I used this to sandblast:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0CRUUM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCP9P8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

25 Likes

Nicely done - and you clearly have a good eye/steady hand because your blasted areas are beautifully smooth!

Do you have to worry about blasting through your masking? I have been wanting to try my hand at sand blasting but was unsure about what kind of masking to get. That blue painters tape looks like it would conform to almost any shape too.

1 Like

It did not seem to be any issues with blasting through the tape at all

the issues are keeping the tape from sticking to itself while you put it on the bottle. Then removing all the bubbles getting it flat. Any bubbles left, the air from the sandblaster will expand.

4 Likes

Very well done great idea

I like it. I may have to go down this rabbit hole since I don’t own a sand blaster…yet

1 Like

You can get the same result using a chemical engraving product from hobby stores. Really simple to use and much less messy than a sand blaster.

2 Likes

Ok, TWO!!! new tools!

I did this mug with a bottle of stuff I got at Michaels:

7 Likes

Sandblaster also works great to “erase” engravings from slate

2 Likes

Great for carving in rock. Sandstone is especially nice to engrave with a sand blaster.

1 Like

Sanding sponges too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the chemical engraving paste - really easy to use, In the olden times (pre-GF) I had you use an Exacto to cut out the designs

1 Like

I was recounting this conversation to a friend this morning and he commented that the hobby stores are stopping carrying these - an checking stock at both Michael’s and Joanns it looks like it may have already happened. It’s still available from Amazon, and a few stores might have stock (I only checked CA, VA, and KY), but if you’re looking for it locally you may have trouble! :frowning:

Well that’s too bad. It seemed like it was a fairly safe product to use. I haven’t actually bought any in a few years though so maybe it’s no longer available here either. I wonder what the issue is?

Haven’t the foggiest, but I’m guessing it has something to do with “caustic and dangerous” costing more on the insurance policy forms. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I have had great luck with the etchant, too. You can still get Armour Etch from Amazon, even if the brick-and-mortar places don’t carry it any longer.

2 Likes

Very nice. What are the positives and negatives of each method?

I’d bet it has more to do with lack of demand, just like the Gallery Glass stained glass paints, silk ribbon embroidery and other not-so-currently-hip crafts :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

Well sand blasting you still need your masking (template) and the entire rest of the glass should be covered with something to prevent any hazing from overspray. The method requires a compressor and a suitable nozzle. To make things even better add in a regulator and water trap as well as a cabinet to contain the dust and your grit. Even with a proper cabinet it’s messy and the grit does wear out and can be expensive, at least where I live.
The chemical is very simple to use. Just put your template on the glass, tape around the edges to insure you don’t get the paste anywhere you don’t want it. Apply, let sit, wash off, done.

3 Likes